Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I find it impossible to read where certain things are going wrong. Is there a way I can access the verbose mode boot log in single user mode? Or can I use "| more" for it to load page by page? I found somewhere that you can also u "dmesg | more". Has this worked for anyone? I feel like this would be extremely useful for when people ask for help, instead of mucking about describing things, you could have a complete log of where something is failing.

Cheers,
Sousaplex

console app shows all the logs > kernel log or all messages show you some boot errors,
for chameleon/chimera errors you can use wait in the boot process and read or take photo,
this early stage there is no log.

If the OS has been installed, you can check /Var/log, and find various logs there. For example, there's the kernel.log file. So in single-user mode, you can access these logs by:

1) Going into that directory using this:

cd /var/log

2) Then use the shell program 'cat' to view the file:

cat kernel.log

3) Since the contents of the file will very likely scroll past the bottom of the screen, you can pipe the output to the shell program 'less':

cat kernel.log | less

...then use the down arrow to manually scroll down through the output on the screen.

4) Finally, press 'q' to quit the less program, and go back to the main prompt.

Note that you can also mount a USB flash drive to the file system, and then copy the log output to it for viewing using Text Edit on another Mac. That way you can post the contents of a file to pastebin, so others can take a look at it as well. You can also mount the flash drive for reading on a Windows machine, by using this technique:

http://blog.newsyland.com/mac-os-x/...external-hard-drive-via-terminal-command-line

TB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back