Contribute
Register

Where is Garage Band? What else is Mavericks good for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Custom
CPU
Haswell 4770K
Graphics
AMD Radion 7870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Somebody said earlier- the Garage band was included in to one of OSXs- is it part of maverick?

What do you use Mavericks for? There is a lot of peer pressure to use Mac, especially in the Audio/Video industry, but I do not see so far what can Macs can do that Windows can't. Any cool aps?

Did you try to install some paid professional applications on it, such as Logic or something for video editing? Did you have any issues installing it? Thank you.

Where is the Ggarage Band? What else is Mavericks good for?

... but I do not see so far what can Macs can do that Windows can't.
Really, for many many years I've made my living managing Windoze networks; I finally have not one fricking PC in my house or office. Yet, I'll share what do I miss 'bout Windoze?

I miss lockups and that pretty BLUE screen that basically says Screw You, you just lost hours of work.
I miss 40, 50, 60 updates every week to fix crap that should have been fixed before it was released. Although we've learned if MS waited to release products based on them working properly, they could never release anything.
I miss all my favorite viruses and malware that slide by Windows incredible security so they can call home and burn up resources to the point the machine can no longer function.
I miss hours and hours of reinstalling the OS and all applications every few months or so just to keep it somewhat functional. And talk to me about saving images, if you restore a 6 month old image, you can count on hours of updates before you can use the machine. And more than likely you'll go through 5,6,7 reboots to get there.
I miss the Hourglass and the new little Spinning circle the represents the OS saying, "Gee, I don't know what to do now"...

I could fill a whole page with this MS nonsense but I think you get the point. There is one thing about Microsoft that I do really like: My customer base depends on it therefore job security has never been better... It's unfortunate for them that only 10%-15% of there IT support cost are for legitimate issues and the rest is for keeping MS crap running...

Anyone PC user that spends the time with OS X to learn it and become productive with it, will either Hack their PC or buy a real Mac and through that PC crap in the trash where it belongs...

Regards;

Oh by the why, I have no need or use for Garage Band... LOL

Somebody said earlier- the Garage band was included in to one of OSXs- is it part of maverick?

What do you use Mavericks for? There is a lot of peer pressure to use Mac, especially in the Audio/Video industry, but I do not see so far what can Macs can do that Windows can't. Any cool aps?

Did you try to install some paid professional applications on it, such as Logic or something for video editing? Did you have any issues installing it? Thank you.

google.com is your friend.

There are a lot of Apps that won't run on Windows PCs such as Logic and Final Cut Pro. No one that
I know uses them because of peer pressure. It's simply because they work better and help creative
people produce their work.

As mentioned in the previous post #2, PCs often create nightmares for tech support workers and the
owners of the PC.

The reason this site exists is because we all want an OS that is well designed, easy to use and
reliable, things you will not get when you're running Windows 8 or previous versions. BTW Garage
Band is now a free update that you can download from the App store.

Enjoy your new CustoMac

Hey there and thank you for your replies. My band partner is Mac patriot and is the reason I went for OSX, because I tired to hear every time I have slightest hick up on my computer, "get a Mac" statement. So I did (well- kind of), and now I dont know what to do with it. My music computer has Asus P8Z77 V-Pro motherboard (posted in another thread about it today), I was told- it would not run OSX without modification, so my studio is still Windows-based. I wanted OSX for Logic, but kind of scared to buy and install it on Hack- feels like I need to avoid Apple store. I am planning to install Q-lab for sound designs, but that is it. I need nice video editor- isn't there some app, iMovie that is good for basic editing?

I got in to building computers and built several Windows systems. Everything I learned about IT support was by troubleshooting DELL Precision, on which over 10 years I had to change memory, 3 out of 4 SCSI drives, DVD player and motherboard. But my new builds are very stable. I do not get any blue screens, hang ups or any issues you are missing. I would probably feel more if I install lots of games, but for normal everyday operations Windows 8.1 is flawless. Well- minus sleep issues and I am not doing much of networking...

I was hoping to hear what cool stuff you have installed on your OSX and how you use it and what for. Thank you.

I was hoping to hear what cool stuff you have installed on your OSX and how you use it and what for. Thank you.

If you are building for a DAW, see http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...core-i7-3770k-ga-z77x-up5-th-32gb-hd4000.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...o-rig-i7-2700k-ga-z68x-ud7-radeon-hd6870.html
As for the app store and downloading apps, at this time you need not worry about it. Many have been running their PC-Macs for years and getting apps from apple and never had a problem. Doubt seriously this will change in the near future.

Thank you for the links- it was nice read. Learned that his WireWire uses TI chipset, same as my, so there is hope, but the main thought was... If one wants to run ProTools- what's the point of going all the way to build CastoMac if ProTools can run on Windows? I am not planning on using Protools- I wanted to use Logic again as I was using it before Apple bought Emagic, but I am not sure it worth of struggle. I guess- I would use CustoMac for iMovie and Garage band just to open files that somebody gave me. Anything else usable? So you saying- if I go ahead and buy Logic from the Apple store, they not going to ask me what I am planning to install it on?

Another quick question: when OSX boots, I get 5 or 6 eSATA errors on the black screen with white text before boot loader appears. Is it normal or sign of potential issue? Thank you.

OP by Astralv

If one wants to run ProTools- what's the point of going all the way to build CastoMac if ProTools can run on Windows?

Personal preference and affordability come to mind. If you already have a Mac, it makes sense to just buy the hardware to run ProTools. I'm sure it will be less expensive than buying a PC and then buying the hardware to run it or vice versa. Makes sense? Also consider that the person may want to run additional software that is Mac specific.

I am not planning on using Protools- I wanted to use Logic again as I was using it before Apple bought Emagic, but I am not sure it worth of struggle.

I have installed it on my Hackintosh and it seems to run with no problems on my I7 3770 with OS X 10.9.

I guess- I would use CustoMac for iMovie and Garage band just to open files that somebody gave me. Anything else usable? So you saying- if I go ahead and buy Logic from the Apple store, they not going to ask me what I am planning to install it on?

I have always been able to get updates for Logic; so, I don't see a problem. If you purchased the software from the App Store, there is no reason to worry at all at this point. Maybe things change in the future; but, you are safe for now.

Another quick question: when OSX boots, I get 5 or 6 eSATA errors on the black screen with white text before boot loader appears. Is it normal or sign of potential issue? Thank you.

It seems like you are describing a POST issue whereby either an external or internal storage device is trying to boot. If so, this can usually be fixed by reconfiguring the BIOS so that these devices don't attempt to boot at startup. Perhaps you may need to give more information to help you.

Thank you for your reply. The eSATA error is not happening when Windows boot. In fact it started happening when I was installing Snow Leopard with Unibeast and persists in to Maverick. I can not look at it right now- on another computer, but may be I should start new thread? It shows several errors, but then boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back