Contribute
Register

When will macOS stop x86 support?

Parallels have the resources, money and license to get it to work in virtual machine.
Hi both.

Remember the site owners have a strict policy of not discussing using macOS in a VM unless ... Read the Site Rules please.

Thank you. :)

Re @remington, It's not a question of cost, it's a question of IP. It's a matter of locks that are public but legal to break.

Apple has already placed the OS into a DRM'd box which it permits to be leaky for reasons of backwards compatibility, but we can see where it's going.

I'm nether pro nor con on Apple's specific approach, it's justifiable from the narrow perspective of Apple's business. But it's inherently colonial and dangerous to freedom and creativity at large. Apple has misled the world every step of the way: They promote their products as liberating while they step-by-step strive for total control of the customer. I predict that everyone here who's still alive will end up on Linux within 10 years.

——

Re @UtterDisbelief, we can see how pernicious this control has already become, working at the level of thought control.

Re @remington, It's not a question of cost, it's a question of IP. It's a matter of locks that are public but legal to break.

Apple has already placed the OS into a DRM'd box which it permits to be leaky for reasons of backwards compatibility, but we can see where it's going.

Maybe. We'll see when Apple ends support for Intel-based macOS. A lot of things can change and Apple can make it impossible for future macOS to run in VM but I doubt it as devs need VM to test mac apps.

Btw, my guess is that Apple will stop releasing new versions of macOS for Intel based Macs 2025-2026.

Maybe. We'll see when Apple ends support for Intel-based macOS. A lot of things can change and Apple can make it impossible for future macOS to run in VM but I doubt it as devs need VM to test mac apps.

Unless someone creates something like Rosetta (but in reverse), it's not really possible to "virtualize" Arm instruction sets on X86/X64. It would be "emulation".

As far as I know, emulation is legal. Remember when Sony tried to sue Connectix for Virtual Game Station and lost?

Last edited:
I see the goggles as the watchword for Apple's next steps. They have clearly and boldly stated they intend to capture and intermediate the total sensory envelope of their customers where you will go in and not come out— note the fake eyes projected on the exterior of the goggles.

If they succeed at making that shift, everything we think we know and care about Mac will disappear the way the IBM Selectric typewriter and the transistor-radio disappeared.

I think it's truly terrifying, far beyond concerns for general AI, but certainly related to AI because both are intended to abject (with an "a") first-person experience with an electro-mechanically constructed corporate reality. Add Neuralink to the mix, to deliver pleasure/pain and body activation signals directly into the nervous system and the person is made into a robot. ("Don't be concerned, the pain is harmless, it's just guiding, step here, good. Let me help, step here, does that feel better? Good... You're making incredible progress with our products!")

The AppleSi architecture has been converged towards the VR/AR opportunity: Apple is free to make unit-level choices in silicon that enable a delicate balance of power needed to pull off the VR goggles ambition. —VR is the hard case of AR. If you can do the VR you can do anything with non-goggles AR.

In the light of this product target, there's every reason to expect that only AppleSi development stations will have the HW needed to develop for the future. The intended target makes backwards compatibility in the vein of IA PC meaningless.

I keep banging a noisy drum re the fate of hackintosh. I don't intend to be irritating, but this whole scene is backwards looking. Apple is forwards looking, they want to conquer the universe.

I'm OK with staying behind because I don't want the future that Apple intends. But I'm just one poor old supercomputer engineer, and Apple is a trillions corporation enslaving hundreds of thousands in China and India, and growing a vast media empire everywhere else, to create a new reality that has many indications that they intend—if possible—to totally colonize the minds and lives of their customers.

The good news for free humanity at this juncture is that Apple's objective is really difficult to achieve. It may be one more full generation to get there.

Apple put their cards on the table back in 1984: they intended to be Big Brother; a new, blond, youthful energetic sister-in-hot-pants-and-nikes big-brother. (Nike, the "goddess of victory in any field including art, music, war, and athletics"—wikipedia) Steve Jobs talked about these intentions continually over his long career. Look up his famous "bicycle for the mind" soliloquy.

Apple devs must buy Apple and that's that.

Btw, my guess is that Apple will stop releasing new versions of macOS for Intel based Macs 2025-2026.
and then all these MacIntesh knowledge will become obsolete?!? :(

I'm nether pro nor con on Apple's specific approach, it's justifiable from the narrow perspective of Apple's business. But it's inherently colonial and dangerous to freedom and creativity at large. Apple has misled the world every step of the way: They promote their products as liberating while they step-by-step strive for total control of the customer. I predict that everyone here who's still alive will end up on Linux within 10 years.

Ubuntu desktop is very good already when it is compared with Apple desktop. Both are Unix based.

Ubuntu has infinite software support. Super lightweight and super stable! Simply press enter to kill a process in HTOP. System will come back running again. :clap:

If everybody subscribes to its premium support, it can be a strong competitor to Windows and Apple!

Then, there will be Ubuntu phone etc.

Ubuntu desktop is very good already when it is compared with Apple desktop. Both are Unix based.

Ubuntu has infinite software support. Super lightweight and super stable! Simply press enter to kill a process in HTOP. System will come back running again. :clap:

If everybody subscribes to its premium support, it can be a strong competitor to Windows and Apple!

Then, there will be Ubuntu phone etc.

macOS is Unix based.

Ubuntu is Linux based.

Back