EVGA GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Why does it take a long time to install OSX than Win 8? I've timed my install and Win 8 completes in about half the time OSX Mountain Lion and Mavericks took.

I'm talking beyond the Unibeast loading screen and OS X Partitioning, when the installer timer starts ... it says 23 minutes. On the same system using another drive Windows 8 and 8.1 installed in more or less 13 minutes, and the installation included partitioning (not formatting) and then installing the operating system.

My system runs an i5 3470 3.2ghz but insignificantly over clocked to 3.3 (i know its lame, i think thats as high as i can). :D I guess, what I'd like to know is if your running a higher or lower speed system will the timer improve significantly?

Btw, on an older system with a Core 2 Duo, Snow Leopard installed around 30 minutes+ and on my i5 it took 23 to 27 minutes.

Upgrading to Mavericks took around 40 minutes on my system and the Windows 8.1 upgrade took 1.5 hours. I don't see your problem.
Install speed has little to do with your CPU, but more with HDD and USB read/write speed.

good info to know, thanks!

my test though where all done using USB 2.0 thumb drives, win 8/win 8.1/osx 10.8.4/osx 10.9 (skipped on 10.8.5 since I used the upgrade app). also the hard drives used ranged from Sata II and Sata III all running their native controllers. Sata III should be faster but the time taken to install are the same for Sata II. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back