Contribute
Register

What's the simplest installation choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything worked for you out of the box? Lucky! :D Absolutely nothing worked for me by default when I set up my Hackintosh.

Anyways, the description for Chimera on the Wiki is absolutely ridiculous. The first time I ever tried to figure out what Chameleon was, I completely gave up after a 2-minute attempt to read their home page.

TheSmartGuy said:
Everything worked for you out of the box? Lucky! :D Absolutely nothing worked for me by default when I set up my Hackintosh.

Anyways, the description for Chimera on the Wiki is absolutely ridiculous. The first time I ever tried to figure out what Chameleon was, I completely gave up after a 2-minute attempt to read their home page.

Chimera is an open-source bootloader capable of emulating EFI capabilities for use with OS X. It is an official branch of Chameleon, built to support the latest hardware and to consolidate the best features from all available sources for maximum compatibility across supported platforms. Focused on going forward to support current, new, and future hardware, the project will not add legacy support for older hardware.
The software is based on Chameleon 2.0 RC5 and was announced and first released on April 27, 2011.
wiki/index.php/Chimera

What is ridiculous about that??

eelhead said:
TheSmartGuy said:

Chimera is an open-source bootloader capable of emulating EFI capabilities for use with OS X. It is an official branch of Chameleon, built to support the latest hardware and to consolidate the best features from all available sources for maximum compatibility across supported platforms. Focused on going forward to support current, new, and future hardware, the project will not add legacy support for older hardware.
The software is based on Chameleon 2.0 RC5 and was announced and first released on April 27, 2011.
wiki/index.php/Chimera

What is ridiculous about that??

Okay, assume that the person who is reading that doesn't know anything about computers (aka me from two years ago).

What is a bootloader?
What is EFI?
Why do you need to emulate EFI? Also, once again, what is EFI?
What is Chameleon?
Why do you need to support the latest hardware? Don't all Hackintoshes use the same OS X?
What are the "platforms" that are being referred to?
What is legacy support?
How does this have anything to do with running OS X on a PC?

Granted, if you don't know anything about computers, you probably wouldn't be trying to build a Hackintosh in the first place. But this information should still be made as approachable for newbies as possible; we all have to start from somewhere.

TheSmartGuy said:
Okay, assume that the person who is reading that doesn't know anything about computers (aka me from two years ago).

What is a bootloader?
What is EFI?
Why do you need to emulate EFI? Also, once again, what is EFI?
What is Chameleon?
Why do you need to support the latest hardware? Don't all Hackintoshes use the same OS X?
What are the "platforms" that are being referred to?
What is legacy support?
How does this have anything to do with running OS X on a PC?

Granted, if you don't know anything about computers, you probably wouldn't be trying to build a Hackintosh in the first place. But this information should still be made as approachable for newbies as possible; we all have to start from somewhere.
This forum will help people to install OSX on PC hardware. But i (we) assume/suppose that users who want do that, have basic experiences and basic knowledge and (important) have done research before they do so. We help people in our free time beside our work and often havn't the time to do researching the internet for noobs and explain all things. Sorry for that.

Bootloader -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootloader#Boot_loader

EFI -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface

EFI -> http://www.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php/EFI

EFI -> http://ihackintosh.blogspot.com/2008/12/what-is-kext-kernel-dsdt-smc-rtc-efi.html

...these are just a few examples...it's your / the users turn to do researching for yourself

This forum will help people to install OSX on PC hardware. But i (we) assume/suppose that users who want do that, have basic experiences and basic knowledge and (important) have done research before they do so. We help people in our free time beside our work and often havn't the time to do researching the internet for noobs and explain all things. Sorry for that.

I've been in IT since 1993, so it's safe to assume I'm an advanced PC user. Until recently I knew almost nothing about Macs. At some point, I decided to convert my Windows 7 box into a hackintosh. This site obviously rose to the top in terms of having the information necessary to help with this. Although there is no scarcity of information in the various sections here (forum, wiki, blogs), getting to the simplest, most straight-forward description of how to get started (or anything else for that matter) takes some work. Which for me is ok, I personally enjoy doing this sort of work.

But the description of Chimera that TheSmartGuy is commenting on is a great example of something that could be explained simply being explained in geek-speak that only those already initiated into this world would understand. Sure, someone can parse out and research the acronyms and various terms, but why should that be necessary?

Chimera is an open-source bootloader capable of emulating EFI capabilities for use with OS X.

What about "Chimera is open source software that lets your PC mimic Mac hardware for the purpose of running OS X."

It is an official branch of Chameleon, built to support the latest hardware and to consolidate the best features from all available sources for maximum compatibility across supported platforms.

What about "It was developed as an offshoot of another software package called Chameleon, and is intended to support a variety of PC hardware."

Focused on going forward to support current, new, and future hardware, the project will not add legacy support for older hardware.

Nothing much to add here. The word 'legacy' is redundant when used with 'older hardware' and could be dropped for clarity.

I think you get the point. Most people probably recognize that this isn't your job, and you can do it any way you want to do it. I would simply and humbly suggest that you consider the lowest common denominator when explaining things, if for no other reason than it would spread your fine work to a larger and more appreciative audience.

Cheers, and thanks.
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back