Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H Intel LGA1150 Z97 ATX Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K S 1150 Haswell Refresh Quad Core Processor
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740
Hi guys,

I've got a desktop hack currently running El Capitan 10.11.12

I was hoping to update directly to a newer OS as some of my apps have stopped working.

My desktop specs are:
Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H Intel LGA1150 Z97 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7 4790K S 1150 Haswell Refresh Quad Core Processor

NVIDIA GeForce GT 740

Could somebody please offer some advice as to what version of OS my hardware will work on and how to go about updating.
(would prefer to update directly as opposed to clean install)

*it's been a while since I've built the hack so I'm pretty out of practice.

Cheers in advance,
Mike

Your hardware is new enough for Mojave so give that a try. Make a clone of your existing install first. Test that it boots. Then disconnect that and try updating through the MAS. You can also make a Unibeast installer and use that without formatting the El Cap drive during the install. Will leave all your files as they are now.

Thanks for your response!

I'm trying, but the app store is saying that Mojave is not compatible, whilst also saying no updates available. :/
I've downloaded a copy of Mojave, but when I try to run it it also says that my El Capitan Hard Drive is cannot be installed. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks for your response!

I'm trying, but the app store is saying that Mojave is not compatible, whilst also saying no updates available. :/
I've downloaded a copy of Mojave, but when I try to run it it also says that my El Capitan Hard Drive is cannot be installed. Do you have any recommendations?
Post a screenshot of your "About This mac." What method did you use to install El Cap originally ?

I created a bootable USB.

Was logged out of my app store, but still having the same problem.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 20.56.33.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 20.56.33.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 52
I created a bootable USB.

Was logged out of my app store, but still having the same problem.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.
change your smbios. Mac Pro 3,1 smbios is not supported (Only up to 10.11.6) Most universal one to work is the imac 14,2 system definition which supports the current MacOS Mojave. I am using imac14,2 smbios with a 1st gen i5 without issues

Hey Guys,

Back at this now, trying to update to 10.11.6 so that I can update to the most recent version of Mojave.

I've downloaded the 10.11.6 updater, but the software is still telling me that I can't install the update on this disk.

Is there anything I can do to make the updater able to run?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 14.13.36.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 14.13.36.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 14.15.00.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 14.15.00.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 48
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back