Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I already have z97 board. it's z97-a. Used it for 10.10 and 10.11 well since last fall. Moved to 10.11 two three months ago.

Works fine when it works, but quite frequently it dies, sudden death. Suspected a power issue, and replaced power, but this continues.
Thought maybe cpu cooler (intel stock, I am using 4790k) can be a problem, replaced with better one.
But the still problem continues. Randomly dies. So I am thinking (or should have replaced this first) the motherboard is the problem.

There are many boards listed on installation guide, but which one works best?

But the still problem continues. Randomly dies.

Do you mean that it freezes up ? Once it dies, it would not be bootable again.

Have you checked the ram, run memtest, tried replacing it ? If it is actually a
motherboard failure it should still be under warranty with Asus. You can
send it to them.

It's like power suddenly cut offs and everything stops. It's not freezing, where power is still flowing to the system, but it's coming with a low clicking sound and then just like power is cut off (except there is no power problem). The system tries to boot up a few times, and during posting, this problem continues. After several tries, el capitan recovers and runs some times a day or sometimes one week without a problem. But this is recurring problem.

So initially, I thought it's power problem -> replaced power.
And I thought that cpu usage is maybe high and my intel stock cpu cooler runs too high and motherboard is stopping cpu.
But it's not.
Also did memtest+ -> passed. It's G.skill, and I had no such problem for first 6-7 months.
Just yesterday in case, updated bios -> funny that it is somehow stabilized, but crash did happen once.

Motherboard warranty takes some times to get it replaced, I would guess. I did it once, and it took 2 weeks from gigabyte. I rather get this replaced and sell it on ebay, but first I would like to get a new board to get it going.

Motherboard warranty takes some times to get it replaced, I would guess. I did it once, and it took 2 weeks from gigabyte. I rather get this replaced and sell it on ebay, but first I would like to get a new board to get it going.

I have used the Z97X-UD3H-BK and it has been rock solid for the past year. Gigabyte tests these in a
server environment 24/7 for a week before it even gets sent to a reselller so you know that you won't
get a lemon. Got it for under 100 USD after rebate in Nov. 2014. Not sure if there are any still for
sale now but you can still get the non "BK" version (BK is also called Black Edition) I think that the
UD3H version didn't sell as well because of the color scheme. Hard to believe but probably true. The
heatsinks don't look as yellow as they do in the online pictures of it. So if you care more about function
than the color of heatsinks this is a good way to go for a Z97 build.

815wJxnA9wL._SL1500_.jpg

Z97X-UD3H at Newegg

Amazon also has a 20 dollar rebate now till the end of December.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JKCHDC2/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Guyz, long time no talk.

I'm about to buy a Intel Core i7-4790K BX80646I74790K CPU.

I need the same advice on a LGA 1150 Z97 Motherboard.

I'll use it as a desktop daily driver - lotsa windows but not for games.

I'd like Thunderbolt, and if at all possible, hardware RAID. Graphics, other than hi-res aren't as important.

I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte Z97X-UD7 TH, if i can find one. Is it worth the apparent more grief and complication going with an ASUS board and the ThunderboltIIEX card?

I'm I right that the Intel RAID in the BIOS on the mobos requires Windows only drivers? Sad, if true.

PS: My HP Probook 4530 Hackintosh is still going strong as my daily driver, but it's still on 10.9.2. Believe it or not, I'm just getting a round tuit to build my tower Mac after buying all of the (i5 Gigabyte) components in 2011.

Guyz, long time no talk.

I'm about to buy a Intel Core i7-4790K BX80646I74790K CPU.

I need the same advice on a LGA 1150 Z97 Motherboard.

I'll use it as a desktop daily driver - lotsa windows but not for games.

I'd like Thunderbolt, and if at all possible, hardware RAID. Graphics, other than hi-res aren't as important.

Thunderbolt narrows down your options quite a bit. From the Buyer's Guide, you have the following choices with TB:

• Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7-TH
  • ASRock Z97M PRO4 (requires additional Thunderbolt adapter)
  • ASRock Z97 EXTREME9 (requires additional Thunderbolt adapter)
  • ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional (requires additional Thunderbolt adapter)
  • ASUS Z97-DELUXE (NFC & WLC) (bundled with Thunderbolt 2 adapter)
  • ASRock Z97M OC FORMULA (requires additional Thunderbolt adapter)

True hardware RAID doesn't come with any mainstream motherboard available, you are correct that the onboard RAID in the Intel chipset works only with Windows drivers. If you want real RAID you'll have to add a card (there are lots of options available from HighPoint Technologies, Sonnet, Areca, Newertech, and CalDigit, to name a few).

I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte Z97X-UD7 TH, if i can find one. Is it worth the apparent more grief and complication going with an ASUS board and the ThunderboltIIEX card?

I'd go with the Gigabyte as well, if you can find one, since the TB is integrated on the motherboard rather than an add-on adapter card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back