Contribute
Register

What's the BEST Motherboard to get to Replace an ASUS P9X79 Pro ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
OEM PC
CPU
Intel Core i7-3930K
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 680
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just about managed to get a system running, been trying since October 2012 and for some unknown reason I could not get a reliable build until recently, and having enjoyed having a nice system with loads of RAM was really great for Autodesk Maya and it worked so much better under OSX than under windows.

The problem came about after switching off my system to move the unit to another part of the office, I have not been able to get the thing to boot, nothing happens at all, and the hex readout on the board just stays at '00', so as a guess, it looks like the motherboard has failed on me...

What I would like to know is what is the best board that I can put in its place that will not cause me any grief with regards to running OSX Mavericks? I presume that I will have a few hassles getting a different board working, but having tried a number of ASUS boards of late for other people (for Windows PC Builds) I have had 2 fail out of 8, so I am going off them....

I need something that will take my 8 x 8Gb 1600 RAM Modules, the Intel i7 3930k 3.2 GHz (2011) CPU and my ASUS GTX-680 Video Card, and as far as motherboards are concerned, I would like something that is about as perfect as you can get for Mavericks.

Can anyone recommend something?

Chris

Thanks for the recommendation, I have just ordered one from Amazon.

In the meantime I managed to get another ASUS P9x79 Pro off a friend who also had the same problems as me, in that he could never get a working install of OSX to run on the thing so I have borrowed this till the Gigabyte arrives, but after swapping out, all I seem to get is the system boots till I get a Grey Screen with an Apple logo and then after a few minutes I get a 'No Entry' symbol appear, I have tried many different key sequences on the chimera boot screen and no change.

So any ideas what I can check, it does look like these ASUS motherboards are useless, but I thought that two of the same boards would at least let me boot back into Mavericks?

I would trash this totally and go back to windows, but I need the data off the drives before I can afford to do this.

As far as I am aware the BIOS config is the same as before..

Any ideas as to what I need to do to get the OS to boot again!

Chris

OK, now getting in a real mess....

Just received a new GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard and after getting it to boot I am back at square one...

Still unable to boot at all from my original disk, the best I can get is a grey screen with the apple logo, I can however get it to boot from the USB and install the OS, but on the reboot and trying to boot from the HDD i get the same grey apple logo screen and nothing else.

I am going to ditch the board and CPU in the bin....

what I need is a recommendation of what will work with no hassles at all?

PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back