Graphics
geforce gtx 660 2gb
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
whats the best higher end ati gpu to buy to work with 10.6.7? i currently have a nvidia gts 450 and im tired of the freezing.

Personally I'm thinking about buying 6870 for a number of reasons. With the three main being:

1. It's currently the GPU where you get most performance/price in Sweden (market may be different in other countries), even a good bit above an unlocked 6950.
2. It supports 4 screens (even 6 with DP1.2/MST hub) on a single card (no need for extra cards).
- Seen people run it with 4 screens under OS X :thumbup:
3. Best performing single card which can support 4 screens and also work under OS X (I were originally considering buying 6950 and unlocking).

But I don't own one yet so don't take my opinion for granted. Let other people who actually own the GPUs comment. Also the best gpu to buy is very subjective because we all have different needs and budgets.

I will have a budget of $100-150 for a ati card. Ill be buying at best buy. I just need to know which card will work with 10.6.7 without freezing. My gts 450 will go up for sale. I need a card comparable to it but from ati.

At $100-$150 you're looking at a 5770 on the low end of the scale (there's one for $89 after rebate on newegg), and if you want to stretch the high end of that range a bit there's a 5850 for around $165 after rebate on newegg. Both will work the same under OS X, which is to say they'll be nice and stable.

fixxxer2012 said:
I will have a budget of $100-150 for a ati card. Ill be buying at best buy. I just need to know which card will work with 10.6.7 without freezing. My gts 450 will go up for sale. I need a card comparable to it but from ati.

iam running successful hackintosh 10.6.7 with XFX HD 5770 :thumbup:

thanks to tonymacx86 and team :clap:

Hi

Did you get all ports working in your XFX?

fixxxer2012 said:
whats the best higher end ati gpu to buy to work with 10.6.7? i currently have a nvidia gts 450 and im tired of the freezing.
The easily route is a 5770 card, like the one in Tony's recommended build #3 (see link in my signature block).

But, in order to help you better you need to help us: What monitor are you using with what connections?

Be advised that some 57xx & 58xx cards have DisplayPorts/mini DisplayPorts that don't work correctly, which is why you'll see advise on purchasing a 68xx card even though these cards are still around $200 USD.

Here's some reference points for you - Tony's and MacMan's blog posts:

Fully Compatible NVIDIA Graphics Cards for Mac OS X

MacManx86: Graphics Card Support and Mac OS X

well i decided to go ahead and put my gts 450 on ebay and ask for like $150 for it. it's only two months old. anyways i was at best buy and heres a list of the ati cards they have.

which one would work the best in your opinion? also how would i go about uninstalling the nvidia drivers and loading the ones for ati?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back