Graphics
GTX 760 SC
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I'm working on a VERY large Illustrator file and I know it's chewing through RAM as fast as it can get it, but it's bogging down my Apple Pi. So I take a look at Activity Monitor to see what's up. There appears to be a kext running that's taking almost a GB of RAM. Even at 16GB in my machine(2x8GB), I'm basically maxing out and need all I can get. Obviously I'll get more when the price comes down a bit and I find more of a need. But in the meantime, can anyone help me find out how to save a bit of RAM while working with my large files?
This is after compressing the Illustrator file.
Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 10.15.38 PM.png
Active memory seems a bit too high
Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 10.15.53 PM.png
Can I clear some of the App Memory? From what I've read, it seems risky to clear the Cache folder.

This all looks fairly typical when working with large files in adobe applications. Of course you can tune the adobe program to use more or less ram but it sounds like you need all you can get and even then it is still probably going to use a swap file. All you can really do is try to have the Adobe app, the source file and your swap file location on the fastest drives possible.

A visit over to the Adobe forums would also be an idea if you haven't done so.

I'm just trying to make sure that I have the most available for what I'm working on instead of files that I don't care to open. I'll take another look today when I do some more work on this file.

Any idea what that kext file is that's using so much RAM? I'm sure it's something important, but 800+MB important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back