Contribute
Register

What would you do differently (have two G5 cases to mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was planning on the psu at the bottom front, airflow from front to back. There are plenty of really quiet psu with fans, so I'm not 100% married to that idea. It does get really good reviews though.

Anyone know if it's possible to buff out scratches on these things? Not really adept at working with aluminum. They have some more than I realized now that I've cleaned them up some.

Problem with the G5 cases is they are basically aluminium that has been bead blasted and then clear anodised. Once the anodised case has been scratched, it is scratched forever (as effectively you have gone through the anodised layer and revealed the bare aluminium beneath). No amount of buffing will cover the scratch, but some polishing may reduce the appearance of it.

The only way to truly get rid of scratches is a paint (or a wrap) job. So you just have to decide on what you can live with and how far you want to go.

As an aside, brushed aluminium finishes are easier to maintain as minor scratches will remove with a kitchen scouring pad and deeper scratches can be sanded out (always use the pad or the sander in the direction of the brushing).

I was planning on the psu at the bottom front, airflow from front to back. There are plenty of really quiet psu with fans, so I'm not 100% married to that idea. It does get really good reviews though.

Anyone know if it's possible to buff out scratches on these things? Not really adept at working with aluminum. They have some more than I realized now that I've cleaned them up some.

I agree with minihack.

I am into using a brushed finish for the bits that I make up. I use 150 grit sand paper and create the brushed finish and then wash the part with lacquer thinner and shoot a coat (or two or three) of clear coat on the part. My point is that these custom parts blend in with the existing finish of the G5 PM case. An example is this photo of my SOS project.

70.jpg

Good modding,
neil

@stiligFox, do you mind telling me how much that cable management tray you had made by laserhive cost? I've seen a few other mods using it, and I emailed him about it, but never got a reply if he even knew what I was talking about, much less what it would cost.

This is going to take some time. Took me a day and some scraped up knuckles to get the water cooler/CPU out of there. For anyone else's future reference, take the back fan grills off, and you can reach in through those holes to get at the hex screws on the backside of the CPU.

Or you could buy a long handled hex wrench. If you're a weenie.

0.jpg

So I'm talking to David at the laser hive and getting all my bits ready. I am going with a full ATX and the low 120 kit he has. I would like to leave the top section with optical drive and hard drive rack alone.

My question on that is, how hot will SSDs get? When this thing was made no one used them. There is that fan up there, that I imagine still works if needed, but do I need to worry about getting that going? There is no significant airflow from the case fans that would get up there, but I'm hoping that won't really matter with SSDs.

So I'm talking to David at the laser hive and getting all my bits ready. I am going with a full ATX and the low 120 kit he has. I would like to leave the top section with optical drive and hard drive rack alone.

My question on that is, how hot will SSDs get? When this thing was made no one used them. There is that fan up there, that I imagine still works if needed, but do I need to worry about getting that going? There is no significant airflow from the case fans that would get up there, but I'm hoping that won't really matter with SSDs.

i think it will do just fine if you have a fan to cool the SSDs. I put it before at the ssd bay which is made by David also. but I noticed an increase in temperature since my SSDs are under the motherboard/cpu. the highest temp is around 45+ i think for the samsung evo. when I cleaned my pc, I removed my SSDs on the SSD bay and put it on the HDD Bay(original from G5). now it's playing around 25-30c.

but I prefer the SSDs under the motherboard. I just fear the heat may kill them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back