Contribute
Register

What will be the cheapest build for video purpose ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my UP5 TH last week, so the thought process is still fresh in my head. I had considered the UD5H too, but decided to go for the Thunderbolt to provide future options and extend the life of this machine. My next laptop will probably have Thunderbolt so I may end up with Thunderbolt peripherals.

GA-Z77X-UP5 TH:
  • 6x SATA ports
  • FW400 needs bracket
  • Has Thunderbolt. This includes mini-DisplayPort video.
  • FW800 can be done with TB->FW adapter
GA-Z77X-UD5H:
  • 8x SATA ports
  • FW400 port on the back panel (no cable/bracket needed)
  • DisplayPort (as well as HDMI/DVI)
  • Cheaper board
  • FW800 needs PCI or PCIe card: need to choose carefully for OS X support.

But do you need FW800? Would FW400 be enough? Firewire wasn't in your initial list of requirements.
You can easily connect FW800 devices to a FW400 port, and although they'll be limited to 35-40 MB/s throughput this should be more than enough for most audio devices. For storage devices you may notice the difference though.

16 GB (2x 8GB) RAM is probably a good start. And you will still have the option to upgrade to 24 GB or 32 GB later.

I don't think more than 16Go RAM is very useful in reality ?

I was also looking an alternate socket : 2011 permitting to use I7 3820 processor. Who seem's to be more powerful than the i7 3770K. But I can't found any convenient mother board for this socket. It's look like there's no cooler possibility also...

I was also interested by the possibility to have a better resolution than 1200x1920. Also would like to have a dual screen. Do you think I will be able to use the 2560x1600 resolution on a 24' or 27' how can I manage to do it ? Does I need to use a mini display port ? OR is it better via graphic card like GTX 970 ? How can I manage using the power of my graphic card and also the one from the mother borad, that's not very clear for me right now. Was also interested to have a wide gamut display I will try to see what are the different possibility.

What about the sound, I would like to know what are the possibility for having a good solution to have a clean and loud sound ? I'm using my computer to watch movies with my video projector. But actually I'm very disapointed with the sound of blow produce by RCA connector devices. I use the mini jack on my old amplification system via RCA. But would like to upgrade for something better, I know it might cost a real budget so I will try to fond a cheap solution for this problem, thanks if you can help for this too.

Can you give some details about your BIOS are you using the BETA F12E and wich is your actual configuration ?
like described here :
http://hack-my-mac.fr/index.php/for...ruire-un-hackintosh-dans-un-g5?start=12#34108

I don't think more than 16Go RAM is very useful in reality ?
That all depends on what you use the computer for.
In my photography work I've found in recent years with the images I work on that 8 GB is the minimum, 16 GB is comfortable, and 32 GB gives me room to work on my big panos without having to wait on the machine. YMMV.
(Your Mileage May Vary)

I was also interested by the possibility to have a better resolution than 1200x1920. Also would like to have a dual screen.
You can connect up a 27" or 30" screen (e.g. 2560px wide) via DisplayPort, while a 24" monitor (e.g. 1920x1200) can be via HDMI or DVI.
Do you want two huge screens, or one huge and one 24" (gee, that used to be "huge" :)).

I need to use a mini display port ?
Well DisplayPort, mini or not.

OR is it better via graphic card like GTX 970 ? How can I manage using the power of my graphic card and also the one from the mother borad, that's not very clear for me right now.
Afraid I'm not able to clarify the GPU choices for you. I'm doing all mine via the HD 4000 at the moment. And I will probably stop at a 24" 1920x1200 plus a 23" 1920x1080 pair of monitors.

What about the sound, I would like to know what are the possibility for having a good solution to have a clean and loud sound ? I'm using my computer to watch movies with my video projector. But actually I'm very disapointed with the sound of blow produce by RCA connector devices. I use the mini jack on my old amplification system via RCA. But would like to upgrade for something better, I know it might cost a real budget so I will try to fond a cheap solution for this problem, thanks if you can help for this too.
Well you can either take the analog audio from the motherboard and feed it to your amp, or most of these also have digital audio output if you have an appropriate DAC in your audio setup. You can even add USB or Firewire audio interfaces that range all the way from cheap to outrageous.
What interface does your projector use? HDMI? DVI? DisplayPort? (DP is quite uncommon in projectors so far, but it's coming).
Video projectors with HDMI like to accept audio that way too these days, but they often have terrible amps/speakers. But on the OS X side you can choose to route your audio via whatever channel you want.
I just hook up to a 15+ year-old amp and speakers in my office.

Can you give some details about your BIOS are you using the BETA F12E
Nope. F11, I wasn't brave enough to go beta.
As for the detailed configuration: I just made more changes to it tonight while hooking up the rest of the SATA hot-swap bays, and I'm about to set up dual monitors (I've had them running on my H77N build) on it. I'm getting the details together for the Z77X-UP5 build post, but have only just put my H77N build post up..

A) I just would like to know wich one is the best output :

1. Realtek ALC898 codec
  2. Support for X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity[SUP]®[/SUP] and EAX[SUP]®[/SUP] Advanced HD™ 5.0 technologies
  3. High Definition Audio
  4. 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
  5. Support for S/PDIF In/Out

and what does I need more after to have a good solution to play music and movies in my office and in my living room.

B) I think I will need a DAC ?

C) then a good ampli with 5.1 for movies...

Is there some solutions that you can recommend ?

I think using a PCI is not a really good solution as there is no real PCIe solution ? Then like I'm already buying a mother board with good audio option I don't really need this...

A) I just would like to know wich one is the best output :

1. Realtek ALC898 codec
  2. Support for X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity[SUP]®[/SUP] and EAX[SUP]®[/SUP] Advanced HD™ 5.0 technologies
  3. High Definition Audio
  4. 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
  5. Support for S/PDIF In/Out

and what does I need more after to have a good solution to play music and movies in my office and in my living room.

B) I think I will need a DAC ?

C) then a good ampli with 5.1 for movies...

Is there some solutions that you can recommend ?

I think using a PCI is not a really good solution as there is no real PCIe solution ? Then like I'm already buying a mother board with good audio option I don't really need this...

What you need is a good A/V receiver with S/PDIF input and a 5.1/7.1 surround sound speaker set.
Yamaha used to make good A/V, Onkyo, Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, all make A/V systems. You need to shop around for what is available to you and get models numbers, then google for reviews to find best for your needs/budget.

Ok thanks, it's look like a good idea with affordable solutions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back