Contribute
Register

What will Apple do with Macs and OS X in 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonymacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
apple-spinner-animated.gif

I thought I'd pose the question- what is on the horizon for Macs and OS X in 2014? Here are a few things we thought of:

overview_bucket_wifi_enhanced.png
MacBook Air
The MacBook Air is one of the best selling, if not the best selling Mac Apple makes. It's been through 3 iterations so far since transforming from the original design. The models released with Intel's Sandy Bridge in 2011, Ivy Bridge in 2012, and Haswell early in 2013 are almost identical in every way design-wise. Could it be time for a new design, possibly with colors?

mac-pro-hero-m-201312.png

Mac Mini
It makes sense that Apple would wait to update the Mac Mini to Haswell, with the marketing for the new Mac Pro in full swing. Perhaps they will bring Mac Mini production to the US as well. A theoretical redesign would consist of a tiny Mac Pro, ie, a smaller version of Apple's new cylindrical black desktop.

231240-apple-wireless-keyboard-left-apple-magic-trackpad-center-apple-magic-mouse-right.jpg
Accessories
We've had the same wireless bluetooth keyboard for a few years now. It was updated once, but design Not to mention that the magic mouse, and magic trackpad haven't ever been updated.

apple-12q2-macbook-pro-ret-keyboard-lg.jpg

We're thinking silver keyboards with black keys, and possibly illuminated. Much like the keyboards on the MacBook Pro and MacBook Airs.

mavericks_icons_stack.jpg
OS X
2013 was a banner year for OS X. We got a brand new OS X series of nicknames, the first being 10.9 Mavericks, based on locations in California. OS X 10.10 will likely be announced in beta for developers in early 2014. We're thinking good choices for its name would be would be 'OS X Redwoods' or 'OS X Yosemite'.

What do you think Apple has in store for the Mac and OS X in 2014?

Last edited by a moderator:
mac mini - built into the magic mouse. not so impossible if you look at stuff like rasperry pie and ubuntu phones

I expect a 4K/Retina iMac and maybe Thunderbolt display.

The rest sound like wishful thinking: what you want Apple to do not what Apple may want to do.
MacBook Air and Mac mini are the cheap options so they are even less likely to be redesigned compared to the rest.
The Airs may get slightly better screens (but not Retina) and/or lower prices.

A Mac Pro mini is just as distant of a dream as it ever was.
The current Mac mini already has a somewhat similar design to the 2013 Mac Pro anyway.
Mac mini will just get a bump to Broadwell which should bring a significant graphics performance boost.

Mac Mini ^3

5.5" x 5.5" x 5.5"

Attachments

• 2013-10-13 15.13.27.jpg
    2013-10-13 15.13.27.jpg
    843.5 KB · Views: 2,645
The MacBook Air is due for an upgrade this summer. I suspect it will get a Retina display.

Love your thoughts about a Mac mini.

Neat idea about integrating the computer with the mouse, but because of cooling and connectivity issues, it seems integrating it with a keyboard might be an option. Don't know if they're going that route, but it's a nifty idea!

I'd say the easiest prediction to make is that there will be an OS 10.9.2. :D

Perhaps Apple will make a new iMac or Mac Mini (in whatever form factor) that uses flash storage since that's what the rest of their Mac product line has switched to for built-in/out of the box primary storage.

I'll end this by adding to the "list" of predictions/wishes by speculating that they will come out with a Retina monitor that, while it would work with any video card capable of 4K (and beyond) resolution, it'll be more about having it work with the new Mac Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back