Contribute
Register

What to select when using Migration Assistant on fresh install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87MX-D3H
CPU
i7-4770k
Graphics
MSI GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I installed El Capitan as per the guide and everything worked short of sound. I didn't do that step yet. When I restarted it booted up just fine. Then I went and used Migration Assistant and now the system won't boot. I selected everything from the Time Machine backup. I'm thinking I shouldn't have done that. What should I select? I'm thinking that selecting the "other" option at the bottom might be at fault. Or perhaps it even overwrites the EFI partition or something is S/L/E?

I installed El Capitan as per the guide and everything worked short of sound. I didn't do that step yet. When I restarted it booted up just fine. Then I went and used Migration Assistant and now the system won't boot. I selected everything from the Time Machine backup. I'm thinking I shouldn't have done that. What should I select? I'm thinking that selecting the "other" option at the bottom might be at fault. Or perhaps it even overwrites the EFI partition or something is S/L/E?

everyone here may tell me i'm wrong, but i have documented that in a couple of cases in my situation in past installs, migration assistant copies some old kexts from the time machine S/L/E to the new install, thereby making the new install unable to boot.

i never use migration assistant. after getting the new install up and running with all features operating correctly, i then transfer all my files and apps manually. the downside to this approach is that you may need to reinstall some apps from the original install media or downloaded .dmg's. the upside is that, in my experience, it "just works".

everyone here may tell me i'm wrong, but i have documented that in a couple of cases in my situation in past installs, migration assistant copies some old kexts from the time machine S/L/E to the new install, thereby making the new install unable to boot.

i never use migration assistant. after getting the new install up and running with all features operating correctly, i then transfer all my files and apps manually. the downside to this approach is that you may need to reinstall some apps from the original install media or downloaded .dmg's. the upside is that, in my experience, it "just works".

Next time try deselecting "Other files and folders" in the mig. assistant and see if that works. It seems the 'Extra' folder is being overwritten with that option.

Alex

Next time try deselecting "Other files and folders" in the mig. assistant and see if that works. It seems the 'Extra' folder is being overwritten with that option.

Alex

That little piece of advice saved me from multiple fresh re-installs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back