Contribute
Register

What to do with older 2007 (ish) Mac Mini?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
2 x R9 280X
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
My mum has decided she wants a new mac and come to the conclusion her (or rather my) old Mac Mini circa 2007 is out of date. It does not run Yosemite and from memory is stuck on 10.6 (Tiger?).

Any sensible suggestion of what to do with it? I recall a CPU transplant is possible, to a Dual Core 2 (Memom) something or other? Its got 4GB of RAM so its not actually that badly specced, just doesn't run anything after 10.6.

All ideas welcomed.

Rob.

I would think that your mum should have a current tech system packaged in a nice new case with wireless keyboard and mouse.

Or how about the Gigabyte Brix that is on sale at Newegg? See: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856164010&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Mini-PC+Barebone-_-N82E16856164010&gclid=CMXJtJjJxsYCFU-CfgodnNsB6w&gclsrc=aw.ds

I see this as an opportunity…

Good modding,
neil
My mum wants a 27" iMac as her eyes are going and also the support route (me) is a long way away. She has lousy broadband so I can't easily connect to help either.

So it will be a 100% genuine Mac for her. For me thats a different issue :)

Rob

If it doesn't have a Core2Duo already in it then it's not worth keeping around. The Core Solo models are upgradable to a Core2Duo chip but she'd still be stuck with Snow Leopard.

If it already has a Core2Duo then it can go to at least Lion. If so, I'd put an SSD in that sucker and have Mom use it a bit longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back