Contribute
Register

What motherboard? (4x GPU+Thunderbolt+Watercooling)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys,

I want to start buying parts, but finding an appropriate motherboard for my build seems like the most important and most daunting task. I want the option of installing 4 dual slot gpu's (Titan Z or GTX 980 TI's) I want enough space to water cool them, and I want some thunderbolt ports on the board.

I understand that my OS will limit the number of Nvidia gpu's I can run. That's fine, I plan on adding the GPU's over time, but want the option of putting them on the board.

Can anyone point me to a board that can accommodate the above and is capable of being hackintoshed?

I've been looking at this board:
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4995#ov

But am unsure. Any advice is appreciated.

Hey guys,

I want to start buying parts, but finding an appropriate motherboard for my build seems like the most important and most daunting task. I want the option of installing 4 dual slot gpu's (Titan Z or GTX 980 TI's) I want enough space to water cool them, and I want some thunderbolt ports on the board.

I understand that my OS will limit the number of Nvidia gpu's I can run. That's fine, I plan on adding the GPU's over time, but want the option of putting them on the board.

Can anyone point me to a board that can accommodate the above and is capable of being hackintoshed?

I've been looking at this board:
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4995#ov

But am unsure. Any advice is appreciated.

I wouldn't even attempt installing 4 GPUs on a Z97 motherboard, not enough PCI-e lanes or
PCI-e slots to support 4 GPU's. Maximum would be 3. You could go with an X99 workstation
board or wait till some more of the Z170 series are released to see what options you will have
with those. Even with a board that can support Quad GPUs it doesn't make a lot of sense to
spend a fortune on 4 gfx cards that won't really make a lot of difference in OS X performance.
Might be worth it in Windows but that will depend on what you are using this build for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back