Contribute
Register

What is your oldest Hackintosh still in use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My oldest working build is my Z170 UD5 TH based build with a 7700k i7. this boots latest Monterey and Win 11 in a dual boot config. its had a few upgrades from its original 2015 spec. new SSD's, HDD's and a 5500 XT. 32gb ddr 4, and 2x 1tb Sata SSD's, and 2x2tb HDD this is my back up work rig, still fine for day to day browsing and light photoshop duties etc

I do still have my original P4 based hack in my spares cupboard, its a Asus MoBo.. cant remember off the top of my head which one, and a early 1gb Nvidia card on AGP slot. i guess if i chucked a HDD in there it would still boot. at the time it was running Snow Leopard, and dual booting to XP. Chameleon was the bootloader in use.

I am still using my original build, albeit significantly updated: Gigabyte H77-DS3H with a i7 3770K (no overclocking), 32GB Ram @1600MHz and a bunch of SSDs + NVMe, plus a GeForce GT710 2GB. I use OPenCore (currently 0.7.8) and Catalina which is as far as I can get with this GPU (as far as I can make out).
The system is relatively slow with Lightroom + Photoshop which are my main apps apart from MS Office for Mac.

I use the system every day for work and it is super reliable. I would love to find a build which is affordable and would give me a significant performance boost with editing 40MB photos in Lightroom Classic (currently version 11.4), but I think part of the performance is due to the OpenCore parameters not being 100% despite using dortania's port Installation guide. Any suggestions gladly accepted.

I use OPenCore (currently 0.7.8) and Catalina which is as far as I can get with this GPU (as far as I can make out).
It still works (GT710) in Big Sur. Support was dropped in Monterey.

I would love to find a build which is affordable and would give me a significant performance boost with editing 40MB photos in Lightroom Classic
Switch to an AMD graphics card such as the WX4100 or the Radeon RX 560. Will make a significant difference for your work.

I am still using my original build, albeit significantly updated: Gigabyte H77-DS3H with a i7 3770K (no overclocking), 32GB Ram @1600MHz and a bunch of SSDs + NVMe, plus a GeForce GT710 2GB. I use OPenCore (currently 0.7.8) and Catalina which is as far as I can get with this GPU (as far as I can make out).
The system is relatively slow with Lightroom + Photoshop which are my main apps apart from MS Office for Mac.

I use the system every day for work and it is super reliable. I would love to find a build which is affordable and would give me a significant performance boost with editing 40MB photos in Lightroom Classic (currently version 11.4), but I think part of the performance is due to the OpenCore parameters not being 100% despite using dortania's port Installation guide. Any suggestions gladly accepted.
It still works (GT710) in Big Sur. Support was dropped in Monterey.

Switch to an AMD graphics card such as the WX4100 or the Radeon RX 560. Will make a significant difference for your work.
Would an RX580 also work?

GeForce GT710 2GB. I use OPenCore (currently 0.7.8) and Catalina which is as far as I can get with this GPU (as far as I can make out). The system is relatively slow with Lightroom + Photoshop which are my main apps apart from MS Office for Mac.
The GT 710 2GB just barely meets the requirements for Photoshop.

GPU requirements: On macOS, a GPU with Metal Support and 1.5 GB of GPU memory

Screen Shot 10.jpg

I am writing this message on my oldest hack from 2008 and running latest Monterey update :

- P5QL Pro
- LGA 775 hack with XEON X5460@4Ghz OC
- 8GB RAM DDR2 (@832 Mhz, does not recognized as such by OpenCore)
- MSI GTX 770 Lightning Edition 2GB
- SSD SATA 512GB
- 2x4TB HDD
- Dual boot Windows 11

:)

Capture d’écran 2022-08-16 à 02.08.28.png

Still on my original 2014 hack, although with upgraded GPU: GA-Z97X-UD7-TH, i7 4790S, RX 570 Pulse 8GB, 32 GB DDR3, multiple SSD SATA, etc. Currently running Clover/Mojave for maximum ProTools compatibility and stability, but in process on OpenCore/Big Sur upgrade (which is a bit of a bear.) ProTools is not really that stable on Monterey, and I prefer to stay an OS or two back for safety ... and let the geniuses live on the bleeding edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back