Contribute
Register

What is your background that draws you to Hackintoshing?

What is your background that draws you to Hackintoshing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I'm only 26, I remember using my first Apple computer a little over 20 years ago. I was given my uncle's old Apple IIe to play with, and I remember having the 5.25" floppy drive along with some old programs to experiment with. After that, my next one was a Mac Plus, then in the mid 90's I was given a Quadra 650. I used that until 1999, when I saved up summer job money and bought a Windows PC. That was the last time I had owned an Apple product until the summer of 2009, when I bought a G5 iMac 17". I hadn't realized how far OSX had advanced past OS 8, and was hooked again. I got my first Hackintosh working on an old Dell P4 system, and the rest is history. I currently have a first gen Core i3 system sitting in a quicksilver G4 case, and my main computer is a Core i5-2500K based hackintosh system. If I buy another Mac, it will most likely be an iMac 27", but I am pretty happy with my current system :thumbup:

I wanted to use FCP!

Well I guess the reason why I became hooked to hackintoshing was because of these reasons. Firstly I was always the the type of person to fix/modify things to simply make them work differently or better and was always the type to save a few $$$ whenever possible. I found out about hackintoshing when I stumbled across a random Youtube video in the video suggestions of a guy showing his really fast hackintosh and I was thinking "what the hell is a hackintosh", I looked at the video and I thought "oh yeah, I'm soooooo going to do that". A couple months after researching and experimenting and nearly giving up on several occasions I got my first setup working (thanks to this site)! And I loved my hackintosh machine mainly because I've never owned a mac before and I've always wanted one for the OS to get all the cool apps and features. Also since I've learned about hackintoshing I've learned so much about macs and how the OS works that if I try tell anybody about what I know their head will explode with confusion, other then the knowledge it has helped saved a lot of $$$ and proved to many mac fanboys that there are other cheaper alternatives to getting a system running OS X without spending too much. So there you go, one click on a random Youtube video was what made get into all of this in the first place :D

I just got bored :yawn: with windows & wanted to try some thing different. I'm crazy about OSX & wanted to try it but one of my friend told me that it's not possible to do so :cry: that's what got me going. I just want to prove myself that I can do it & I proved it :D

All of them!!

I'm a computer science student and my graduate work is to make some special iOS app
I'm also an amateur music arranger using Logic 9.
And I love hacking! Loving all thing about tinkering!

First 3 options work for me, but the real reason was the challenge to make OS X runs on a non-apple hardware. But, thanks to Tony and MacMan, I can say this challenge is much easier than it was a couple of years ago. Thanks guys.

ptmays said:
I will freely admit I'm a geek, I am a Mac user (Real and Hacked) I have a degree in Information Systems, but work in a very low tech industry (Wine Sales/Distribution) and I end up being SYSADMIN for my entire family.

So I curious what makes up this group of hackers for lack of a better term...

You're probably not going to find a ton of surprises given how many of us fit more than one of those choices.

Started my computing life on Apple's but went on to spend many years in various technical roles with IBM. I hackintosh because I love macs and I love building machines.

I got bored with building Windows Machines... My most recent Windows build was a blazing fast system, but am not really into gaming, so just built it because I can. Building a Hack has re-energized me as far as computer building is concerned. I am totally thrilled with my system, and am always reading Tony's Blog and forums to tweak every bit of extra that I can out of my system.

BTW, I work in the medical device industry and am a self taught hard core computer geek. Have never had a computer class except for Word, Excel etc. My Hack was my 428th computer that I have built. Used to have my own business and many of my computers that I built are still in operation today, proud to say.

Tonymac and Macman make building Hack's very simple. Thanks guys!!! :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back