Contribute
Register

what is wrong with using iboot as a crutch ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
hi everyone i have a question

I like to install with iboot then retail osx dvd run updates and everything works without any third party stuff other then iboot . i have an OCD about installing a bootloader on my mac because for some reason in my mind it makes me feel like my install is dirty lol

im a freak i know you can laugh but i like the feeling i do not have any non native files running my OS if you understand so my question is as follows

? is it ok to keep using iboot to boot my computer

what are the negative effects if any

thanks for your input its just something thats been on my mind

if i could only boot iboot from usb stick i would be in heaven.

thanks
Mike

iBoot was designed as an installation tool only- not as a permanent solution for post-installation. It is NOT a boot crutch. By using it as such, you are limiting the functionality and upgradeability of your system!

See here;
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/03/ ... -from.html

If you want keep hard disk in vanilla condition then you should make a bootable usb stick. This is one way to do that:

1. Format a usb stick, make it have Guid partition table and Mac OS Extended format. I named mine as BootStick
Screen shot 2011-05-28 at 12.52.05.png

2. Run Multibeast and choose everything your system needs but choose your usb stick as install target istead of hard disk. For some reason I have to choose options twice before installation begins, first time it just reverts back to options screen but second time everything gets installed to usb stick.

3. Open terminal and run diskutil list to find out which disk number refers to your usb stick. On my system it seems to be disk3 so I chose /dev/rdisk3 as target for fdisk440 command.
Screen shot 2011-05-28 at 13.28.51.png

Now your usb stick should be bootable.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-28 at 12.52.05.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-28 at 12.52.05.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Screen shot 2011-05-28 at 13.28.51.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-28 at 13.28.51.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 161
Of course you can install Chameleon just about anywhere, OP insists on keeping his hard disk in vanilla condition so booting from a usb stick is his best choice in my opinion.

mmaenpaa said:
Of course you can install Chameleon just about anywhere, OP insists on keeping his hard disk in vanilla condition so booting from a usb stick is his best choice in my opinion.
If you're one of those users who like an extremely 'vanilla' installation of OS X, you may want to rid your drive of all extra Hackintosh-related files. The following method will lead you through installing all of these files to your EFI partition.

I wouldn't call a hard disk that has a modified EFI partition as pure vanilla and that is what OP wanted. I personally use a dedicated partition for Chameleon and that is vanilla enough for me.

mmaenpaa said:
I wouldn't call a hard disk that has a modified EFI partition as vanilla and that is what OP wanted. I personally use a dedicated partition for Chameleon and that is vanilla enough for me.
Tit for tat. It's your preference I understand that, I was showing another method as to not tie up a USB port.
Not everybody has or does the same thing so open your mind that there are other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back