Contribute
Register

What is the Easiest Way to Mod G5 for Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
So should i mount the motherboard tray then cut it or cut it before hand?

Is there anything else i should know before i go off and buy this stuff.

Thanks for all your help. I'll be back soon with components asking for help again :)

Thank you all.

eelhead said:
You can buy a premade front cable, there are two sellers on Insanelymac depending on your location that sell them.

The motherboard tray is easy to set in, check out this thread for pics and ideas
viewtopic.php?t=16300

I mounted the mobo tray in from the rear panel and reused the G5 standoffs for the front section of the mobo tray to the case.

In your post of you doing your conversion you have a wiring diagram for the front panel printed and laying on your desk. Where did you get that? Any way you can take a couple good pics of it and add that to your post? Or attach the diagram in file form?

pdxxjjeep said:
In your post of you doing your conversion you have a wiring diagram for the front panel printed and laying on your desk. Where did you get that? Any way you can take a couple good pics of it and add that to your post? Or attach the diagram in file form?

Here you go,
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=g5...tart=0&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&tx=38&ty=32

It is identical to this one too,
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=g5...21&tbnw=91&start=0&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

Sorry for the massive links.. I used those pinouts when I was making these cables.

Gus

Gus said:
I used those pinouts when I was making these cables.

Gus

I've been using the hand drawn one I saw floating around here somewhere. IT has arrows pointing and dividing up the different pins. very helpful.

also, since we're on the subject, is stripping/soldering the best way to go about making the cord? I purchased a few M-F leads from an electronics store, and have been soldering the male end to the exposed wire from the front panel connector. It seems to be working but I havent tried to run power thru it yet..

zpowell1 said:
I've been using the hand drawn one I saw floating around here somewhere. IT has arrows pointing and dividing up the different pins. very helpful.

also, since we're on the subject, is stripping/soldering the best way to go about making the cord? I purchased a few M-F leads from an electronics store, and have been soldering the male end to the exposed wire from the front panel connector. It seems to be working but I havent tried to run power thru it yet..
Makes no difference in my eyes. Just in your one there will be a slight "bulge" where all the joins are, whereas, buying new crimp terminals allows you to use a single wire for each pin.
Many people have made cables the same way you are, cutting the original apple cable and soldering atx jumper cables. The only thing to remember is to solder 2 jumper cables to the pin 1 firewire voltage. As this is a 25V rail and the atx side has 2 12V rails.
Just so you, front panel doesn't work with jack detection.
Gus

pdxxjjeep said:
eelhead said:
You can buy a premade front cable, there are two sellers on Insanelymac depending on your location that sell them.

The motherboard tray is easy to set in, check out this thread for pics and ideas
viewtopic.php?t=16300

I mounted the mobo tray in from the rear panel and reused the G5 standoffs for the front section of the mobo tray to the case.

viewtopic.php?p=259394#p259394

That is the Modding must haves thread that stickied here. It has diagrams as well as some other really useful stuff.

Gus your links are killing me lmao sooooo long

Gus said:
zpowell1 said:

Makes no difference in my eyes. Just in your one there will be a slight "bulge" where all the joins are, whereas, buying new crimp terminals allows you to use a single wire for each pin.
Many people have made cables the same way you are, cutting the original apple cable and soldering atx jumper cables. The only thing to remember is to solder 2 jumper cables to the pin 1 firewire voltage. As this is a 25V rail and the atx side has 2 12V rails.
Just so you, front panel doesn't work with jack detection.
Gus

Hmm..I'll finish up this one I'm doing and then buy some crimped wire and make a second one from the other part of the original cable. If nothing else, I'll have a back up :)

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back