Contribute
Register

What is the cheapest Mini-ITX board/processor combo I can use in my Macintosh Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
Intel Core i5 3.4Ghz
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC edition
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
1je5lGd.jpg
I had previously built this little emulator box inside a Macintosh Classic based around the Raspberry Pi. I was pleased with the result externally, but I have come to my wits end struggling with the Pi’s very limited power and occasional issues like corrupted SD cards. In honor of the Mac’s 30th birthday, I want to give my Classic a (newer) new brain.

This time I am thinking a small, inexpensive mini-itx Hackintosh.

I have built a gaming PC style Hacintosh built into an old PowerMac G5 and I am pretty familiar with that end of the market, but I have never built a low power small computer before. My goals are:

• Cheap! This is a novelty project really so I prefer to keep it really cheap. Power is not a priority, my main uses for this will be running OpenEMU, the Basilisk II early Macintosh emulator, and basic OSX usage. Ideally my budget for this would be somewhere around $200 for the motherboard and processor combo. I have a 60GB SSD I am planning to use.
  • Not too hot. The Macintosh Classic is basically a big plastic box without a lot of cooling. I’m going to put in a fan, but I need something that won’t generate a lot of heat.
  • Wifi for networking.
  • Both VGA and HDMI, or dual HDMI The VGA will power the 8-inch 800x600 screen, and the HDMI will be external for connecting to other displays or TVs.
I am not opposed to shopping for used parts on eBay, but I’d prefer to just grab everything from Amazon or MicroCenter.

What should I be shopping for?

View attachment 81257
I had previously built this little emulator box inside a Macintosh Classic based around the Raspberry Pi. I was pleased with the result externally, but I have come to my wits end struggling with the Pi’s very limited power and occasional issues like corrupted SD cards. In honor of the Mac’s 30th birthday, I want to give my Classic a (newer) new brain.

This time I am thinking a small, inexpensive mini-itx Hackintosh.

I have built a gaming PC style Hacintosh built into an old PowerMac G5 and I am pretty familiar with that end of the market, but I have never built a low power small computer before. My goals are:

• Cheap! This is a novelty project really so I prefer to keep it really cheap. Power is not a priority, my main uses for this will be running OpenEMU, the Basilisk II early Macintosh emulator, and basic OSX usage. Ideally my budget for this would be somewhere around $200 for the motherboard and processor combo. I have a 60GB SSD I am planning to use.
  • Not too hot. The Macintosh Classic is basically a big plastic box without a lot of cooling. I’m going to put in a fan, but I need something that won’t generate a lot of heat.
  • Wifi for networking.
  • Both VGA and HDMI, or dual HDMI The VGA will power the 8-inch 800x600 screen, and the HDMI will be external for connecting to other displays or TVs.
I am not opposed to shopping for used parts on eBay, but I’d prefer to just grab everything from Amazon or MicroCenter.

What should I be shopping for?

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GA-H61N-USB3-Intel-Express-Chipset/dp/B005SCYHV8/
and
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-I3-2105-Dual-Core-Processor-Cache/dp/B0051YS85O/

would work well. ~$230 for the pair but this combo has worked well in several HTCP builds.

Might be able to get a combo deal at your local MicroCenter.

mc has the asrock h61m-dgs on sale for 45.00 no usb 3.0 picked 1 up last week no sleep issues bios will need to be patched with pmpatch or dpcimanager or use clover bootloader if u dont want to patch bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back