Graphics
GTX 980 ti FTW
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
what is the best graphics card that works on a hackintosh?

i dont need an easy install as long as i can get it to work. I also only need it to drive one monitor (30" 2560x1600) and i dont really need to update the machine to the most current software all the time.. once it works i am ok with it for a while.

i currently have a GTX 260

jonnynogood said:
what is the best graphics card that works on a hackintosh?

i dont need an easy install as long as i can get it to work. I also only need it to drive one monitor (30" 2560x1600) and i dont really need to update the machine to the most current software all the time.. once it works i am ok with it for a while.

i currently have a GTX 260
"best" is a relative word ... all depends on "what"? i've the 9400GT and 9800GT. works real well for me. some folks like the radeon 5770. all the DVI-D cards should drive your 30" no problem.

how's the GTX260 not working for you right now?

The 260 works great. I have no issues at all with it. I am selling this machine to a friend of mine and was going to build a better machine with a i7 6 core processor with as much ram as I can stack into it.

It seems like the graphics cards that are available for macs in general are about a year + behind what is available for pcs. And thats not even taking into account the dual card options out there

It's kind of a bummer to get top notch components then have to put in what some pc people would consider a low end video card. Even though it's a pretty nice one.

NVidia just dropped drivers for some of the newer cards. Looks like the 485 works much better now and support for the 580 is mentioned.

See viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7973 .

Attachments

• 2012-04-16_11-55-11_778.jpg
    2012-04-16_11-55-11_778.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
I think right now is the NVIDIA Fermi cards, Since it has actual release of mac drivers.

In some ways, ATI are more faster but for the support itself on MacOS driver.
I'd still go for NVIDIA...

But then again, I could be wrong.
Hope we could find some comparison charts for it since fermi cards are now clearly supported for our hackintosh.

melon said:
I think right now is the NVIDIA Fermi cards, Since it has actual release of mac drivers.

Hope we could find some comparison charts for it since fermi cards are now clearly supported for our hackintosh.

Faster? It took almost a year for 5XXX to be supported.

Jocelyn84 said:
melon said:

i think what was meant was the performance of the card is "faster"

jonnynogood said:
Jocelyn84 said:
melon said:

i think what was meant was the performance of the card is "faster"

Well that would make even less sense hehe.

Like what I have said before...
I could be wrong...

That's why we need more actual reviews and benchmarks using their Hackintoshes. :)
Most reviews we'll see is run base on Windows...
How bout on our Hackintoshes? Ow well, I guess we'll have to find out by ourselves.

So I'd probably still stand to my previous post due to it's driver support.
NVIDIA. Hehe... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back