Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I don't really like OSX as much as I thought I would, and want to get my hard drive space back.

I have win 7 on my primary drive and OSX on a 2nd drive.

how can I format that drive and use it for storage, without messing up my windows install on my primary drive.

That's a totally backward step. How long have you had OS X? Give it a bit more time and you will be surprised how you'll come to like it. Even though I still have Windows I use it less and less every day.

Azmyth said:
I don't really like OSX as much as I thought I would, and want to get my hard drive space back.

I have win 7 on my primary drive and OSX on a 2nd drive.

how can I format that drive and use it for storage, without messing up my windows install on my primary drive.

If they are on separate drives just erase it and reformat. Easy.

But I concur with the above posters, not that you are required to, but you may give it a bit longer of a trial, to see if it is really useful. Why not....

When i switched from windoze to osx, i had to totally unforget the "windows" way of thinking, its a different mindset involved. Then youll realize how much easier, stress and worry free osx is. The next time you use windows, youll be agravated by how stupid or diffficult things are, then youll remember why you switched to macs.

run your windows through parallels than you'll like it more.. awesome setup and it boots in seconds. Than run it in full screen and swipe the magic mouse between OSX and windows. Whats not to like.. okay how about you run another OS and swipe between 3.. or 4..lol

I totally disagree with PowerPcg5 "The next time you use windows, youll be agravated by how stupid or diffficult things are, then youll remember why you switched to macs."

This is sooo not true. There are lots of similarities between the two, they are both capable OS-s, just different. There are things in OS-X which aggravate me, so what? There is no such thing as "perfection" The question I ask from you is: How long have you used Windows? Spend a small portion of that time on OS-X and you will be just as proficient with it and learn to enjoy the experience.

Windows 7 is actually pretty good...there are things about each that are good and bad. I think you need to spend enough time on OS X and learn more advanced features like services to really appreciate it.

The question I ask from you is: How long have you used Windows?
Several years... dating back to Win 3.0, 3.1, 3.1 for Workgroups, NT Workstation 3.51, 95, 98, 2000, XP, 2003, all that way back. Also was a Windows Network Administrator managing Windows/Novell servers and 60+ workstations for several years until I quit my job and started my own company.

I still use Windows servers today when dealing with clients, configuring IIS and SQL servers. Vista on a laptop just aggravates me GRRRRRR :banghead: Windows 7 on another laptop seems better.

To be fair, I tried OS9 when we got those lime-green iMacs and I personally find it to be pretty much useless, inadequate. OSX is what won me over to Apple.

Hi Azmyth,
Sasquatch00 has said the way to get rid of the OSX partition, but to expand on that... You should probably set your Windows partition to Active so that your OSX bootloader does not cause you any problems after you format the partition.

What I would do in your situation is:
1. Boot into OSX, open Terminal; enter the following commands
Code:
diskutil list
fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
p
f 1
write
y
exit

^ In the above code, you are using Disk 0 Partition 1. This may be different for you, so substitute numbers in accordingly.
You can use the 'p' command to check your partitions, so this is optional. You want to select the drive/partition that your Windows install is on.
Once you have set Windows to active, you won't need to worry about Chameleon anymore, and this may very well be the last time you are in your OSX install.

2. Boot into Windows, open Disk Management from Control Panel->Administrative Tools, right-click the drive/partition you'd like to format and click on Format or Delete. Pretty basic from here. Create a new partition using the same program.

That should be what you're looking for. Hope it helps.

To the others who posted in this thread- while it's nice to be encouraging to try new things, very little of the posts here made an attempt to directly answer what he was asking. If I was in the OP's position I would feel like most of the replies are pushing a sales pitch to me, just my 2 cents. I don't mean to cause a flame war or anything, but please use your knowledge to help others with what they're asking if possible :)

Best wishes,
-Proxin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back