Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hey everyone -

I have been using my Hackintosh successfully since April - beautiful machine! Thank you! Last few days I have been trying to upgrade to 10.6.8 ... gotta love SuperDuper! (have been testing on cloned hard drives so far while my main HD is still up and running).

I downloaded the latest iBoot and Multibeast and am wondering:

What exactly happens when I boot from the CD-ROM (iBoot) as opposed to the installed bootloader (which happened the first time I loaded 10.6.7 in April)?

I ask because I noticed that when I clone the drive, boot it, it looks *exactly* like my original. However, if I boot from iBoot it no longer does (desktop is reset, system preferences changed, permissions are different, etc). Then, if I restart it *without* the CD these changes persist ... So, iBoot is changing something when it is booted ... and I just wonder what that is?

Looked on the wiki and searched Google but all I find is: "boot with iBoot, run MultiBeast, restart and enjoy!"

Thanks

That is an odd result. My understanding was that iBoot only temporarily loads components necessary to start up the computer and allow it to load a full OS.

I did find one reference to it patching the com.apple.boot.plist after looking at a number of different iBoot and bootloader read-me files.

You might start by comparing the two copies and then restoring the changed one if that is the case.

SnapMan said:
I did find one reference to it patching the com.apple.boot.plist after looking at a number of different iBoot and bootloader read-me files.

You might start by comparing the two copies and then restoring the changed one if that is the case.

It's not big deal at this point because I am working with a clone - I just didn't know if I needed to use the CD and what made it different than the bootloader. It is doing something different, is all I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back