Contribute
Register

What do you think, is it worth migrating from Ventura to Sonoma? Did they have a reason?

Motherboard
MSI Z490 GAMING PLUS
CPU
I7-10700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. Mac mini
I'm on Ventura 13.6.1 and I'm ok. Does anyone think it's worth migrating to Sonoma and why?

I'm on Ventura 13.6.1 and I'm ok. Does anyone think it's worth migrating to Sonoma and why?

The new features on Sonoma are not anything I really use. Mostly eye candy stuff. With normal operations and stuff, there isn't anything different between Ventura and Sonoma.

There was some bug in early Ventura where my Hack would wake itself ever 1-2 h that went away in the later updates, but now it's back in Sonoma.

I just updated it because I'm a bit obsessive about keep my rig update. Otherwise I wish I just stuck to Ventura!

All the Benchmarks improve, Sonoma is faster

No, the upgrade is not worth it. As @tedyun said it is mostly eye-candy. There are no superlative fixes, enhancements or features in Sonoma that are must have. It should be renamed Ventura 13.7.x.

Also too many previously natively supported devices are dropped in Sonoma.

I have upgraded a couple of my systems 1 x Haswell and 1 x AMD just to see what it offered. I doubt I will be updating any of the others that I use more regularly, Ventura is good enough for another year or two. Until the security updates are stopped.

OK, there are multiple PROs and CONs. I agree Ventura is good enough.

I red something about in mac rumrs, like "Apple has rewrite the Foundation framework with swift, and this improves the performance. When any calling to Foundation api, there is no need to go through from swift to obj-c, then back to swift."

Just in case, try to make an Speedometer test in both clean systems and compare.

In my system for example, Sonoma loads a lot faster. (Same configuration and type of Nvme)

There are under the hood improvements for games....

Game Porting Toolkit also only works in Sonoma (and Apple Silicon Macs).

As X86 support gets increasingly closer to EOL, I think fewer and fewer new features will be included for X86 versions of macOS giving less and less reasons to upgrade.

For me 'Game Mode' has been the best reason to upgrade to Sonoma. There is a definite improvement in games in Sonoma from Ventura, Dirt Rally max settings 144 FPS!, (on my RX580 build). No Mans Sky and DIRT4 40-50 FPS on my Ryzen 7 4700G!.

Back