Contribute
Register

What do u use? fast 10Gbe Nas server for video editing!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone,
For a long time I'm searching for a NAS solution to be able to handle 2 hackintoshes with 2x 10Gbe ethernet ports and be able to provide read/write speeds close to 1GB/s. Ofc Raid5 support with at least 4 to 5 bays for hard drives. The prices are high and I cannot find any solution without breaking the bank. I would prefer Brands like Qnap or Synology as they provide stability over the years and safety. The purpose of this NAS is to handle 4k 10-bit and 12-bit Raw files in video editing using fcpx simultaneously on 2 systems. My cameras are Blackmagic 6k Pro and Canon C70 so the file sizes are really huge expecially when shooting raw! Can you share your experience?

I'm not using Final Cut Pro X any more
But I install Qnap TS 873A With 8 SSD and 2 dual 10G NIC
It works quiet well
Or you can build your NAS and install OpenMediaVault or TrueNas

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
For a long time I'm searching for a NAS solution to be able to handle 2 hackintoshes with 2x 10Gbe ethernet ports and be able to provide read/write speeds close to 1GB/s. Ofc Raid5 support with at least 4 to 5 bays for hard drives. The prices are high and I cannot find any solution without breaking the bank. I would prefer Brands like Qnap or Synology as they provide stability over the years and safety. The purpose of this NAS is to handle 4k 10-bit and 12-bit Raw files in video editing using fcpx simultaneously on 2 systems. My cameras are Blackmagic 6k Pro and Canon C70 so the file sizes are really huge expecially when shooting raw! Can you share your experience?
IME, QNAP and probably Synology are just not cutting it for pro work.
It's consumer stuff for people that need shared storage for TV shows and their music library.

Use internal NVME for working on current projects, and external direct attached storage for ingest, backups and nearline.

When you need to work in a group I would get a real media server. Example:

IME, QNAP and probably Synology are just not cutting it for pro work.
It's consumer stuff for people that need shared storage for TV shows and their music library.

Use internal NVME for working on current projects, and external direct attached storage for ingest, backups and nearline.

When you need to work in a group I would get a real media server. Example:

I bought a Qnap TS-873a and installed 8x Seagate Exos 18tb each along with 2x Nvme Seagate Barracuda 1tb each for read and write caching. Tha amazing thing is that TS-873a has dual OS with Quts Hero support ZFS file system. I upgraded the Ram from 8Gb to 64Gb ecc and installed a dual 10Gbit Qnap network card also. I'm using Raid 10 with 70Tb worth of storage out of 144Tb. The system is truly amazing and I was able to get 930mb/s read and 1050mb/s write which is great! No regrets at all... my both hackintoshes can edit simultaneously from the nas w/o any issues!

Are you using a switch? If so which one? I'm building a similar setup but need a 10gbe switch. I'm looking for something that would work well but cheap.

I use Dell R720s with 12 10TB NAS Drives running TrueNAS Core, Network is going to a Dell 10Gbe switch with LACP. For the 10Gbe Cards I use the Chelsio N320 these works in both macOS and Linux but not in Windows not too much of a problem though.

Are you using a switch? If so which one? I'm building a similar setup but need a 10gbe switch. I'm looking for something that would work well but cheap.

I use a TRENDnet TEG-S762. It has 2x10G ports and 4x2.5G ports. I use the 10G ports for my Mac Studio and NAS. It works good.

Back