Contribute
Register

What do I need to do for HD3000 via HDMI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomR

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Performa
  3. Power Mac
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I've got a great HTPC build, but for some bizzaro reason, it only works via DVI. When I connect my monitor via HDMI, I get to the gray Apple screen and then the progress indicator freezes.

If I do a GraphicsEnabler=No, I can boot up to the desktop, but of course I only get SVGA-ish resolution.

I've done a search of the forums & not finding a lot of luck with ideas on what to do. One thread suggested that I run MultiBeast & used either the Mini or MBP system definitions, but that makes things worse (system won't even boot or KPs).

i7 2600K, GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 rev. 1.3, 8GB RAM (+ using max RAM settings in BIOS for video). Using all the proper MB settings via the UniBeast instruction guide.

See attached for screen shot of log at the point where my boot process halts.

I'm at a loss... :banghead:

Thanks for any assistance!!

EDIT: I'm running 10.7.4, but was same under original build OS (10.7.3)

Attachments

• Verbose log.jpg
    Verbose log.jpg
    887.7 KB · Views: 359
have you tried not using max ram for the video ram? I haven't used integrated video in any builds but I did read in a forum post the other day suggesting to not use the max ram setting but it never had a follow up, I was looking at getting one of these boards to build a htpc, what profile are you using?

fr05ty said:
have you tried not using max ram for the video ram? I haven't used integrated video in any builds but I did read in a forum post the other day suggesting to not use the max ram setting but it never had a follow up, I was looking at getting one of these boards to build a htpc, what profile are you using?
Lion ignores the BIOS settings with regard to the amount of shared RAM and sets the value according to the amount of totally installed RAM. On a system with 8+ GB RAM it will always use 521MB for graphics.

Also see http://revogirl.wordpress.com/2012/01/29/about-vrammethod-and-vramsize-properties/

Mieze

Mieze said:
fr05ty said:
Lion ignores the BIOS settings with regard to the amount of shared RAM and sets the value according to the amount of totally installed RAM. On a system with 8+ GB RAM it will always use 521MB for graphics.

Also see http://revogirl.wordpress.com/2012/01/29/about-vrammethod-and-vramsize-properties/

Mieze

Neat, I never knew that. In that case, why does tony's Customac Mini guide even bother to set VRAM in the BIOS?

are you on 10.7.4? if you read one of the threads there are at least 2 posts (one mine) about the macmini definition tripping up over P-states with 10.7.4. the edits there allowed me to boot with the machine definition. you may still need it to get hdmi out, unless you want to go editing some kexts...

Try some other sys defs.
Powerbook, Imac etc.
Check at Everymac.com.
A number of Macs had HD3000.

I have a core Celeron G530.
it only has HD graphics but was recognized as HD3000.
I could get high rez with no sound or low rez with sound.
I used Macpro def among others.
My cpu is recognized as an I7.
Eventually it thought it was HD2000.
It was much easier to install a Nvidia card.
I use a Galaxy GT430. It fits in Apex case for Hack Mini.
HD3000 has half the performance of this card plus you may have artifacts.
The only drawback for the card is noisy fan.

potemkin said:
Try some other sys defs.
Powerbook, Imac etc.
Check at Everymac.com.
A number of Macs had HD3000.

Short story:
I finally gave up & got a "silent" video card:

Asus ATI Radeon HD6450 Silence 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Radeon-Silence-Profile-PCI-Express/dp/B004X8EO6Q

Long story:
I tried **EVERY** system definition that is in the latest MultiBeast. For the record, here were the results:

Mac Mini - KP on reboot (still connected to DVI - never got a chance to try HDMI)

iMac 12,2; iMac 12,1 - Hangs on gray Apple screen (no spinning progress indicator); upper half of display showing dense "snowy" artifacts
iMac 11,2; iMac 11,1 - Hangs after several rotations of progress indicator @ gray Apple screen

MacBook Pro 8.1; MacBook Pro 6,1 - KP on reboot

To recap: bios was set to use max RAM for video. All bios settings per Linx2Mac's blog post. Used all recommended MultiBeast settings per UB/MB install instructions.

I'm curious as to why others are having success using the different system definitions. Everything in my build except for the RAM I'm using are all per TonyMac recommended hardware lists.

BoomR said:
Short story:
I finally gave up & got a "silent" video card:
With all due respect to those that responded to your original question, you got bad advice. There are two system definitions that enable HD3000 graphics; macmini5,1 and macbookpro8,1. For HD3000 HDMI, only macmini5,1 has the HD3000 HDMI connector meaning any other system definition will not work. It is unfortunate you had to find that out with your experiments. Another requirement is Chimera as it sets the HD3000 device-id to the one OS X works with.

Moving forward, see this post for an edited H61N-USB3 dsdt and the link to enable full 889 and HDMI audio http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=209915#p209915. If 10.7.4 is installed, install the linked dsdt, shutdown, plug the display onto the HDMI port and restart. If you use the linked dsdt, it injects the HD3000 information allowing you to use any system definition.

Another note, the linked thread may be huge but there is a lot of H61N-USB3 information that is worth the effort.

toleda said:
Moving forward, see this post for an edited H61N-USB3 dsdt and the link to enable full 889 and HDMI audio http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=209915#p209915. If 10.7.4 is installed, install the linked dsdt, shutdown, plug the display onto the HDMI port and restart. If you use the linked dsdt, it injects the HD3000 information allowing you to use any system definition.

Another note, the linked thread may be huge but there is a lot of H61N-USB3 information that is worth the effort.

Thanks for all that great info!! And I must apologize-I need to update my signature to include my newest Hack build....it's this New build where I'm having my problems. Core components: i7 2600K, GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 rev. 1.3
Link to the build with the HDMI issues:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=59922

Based on this new info, would you still suggest the same fix? Would there happen to be a patched DSDT for this mobo, too?

BoomR said:
Based on this new info, would you still suggest the same fix? Would there happen to be a patched DSDT for this mobo, too?
I missed the motherboard change. An edited dsdt is not available for your motherboard. However, it is easy to copy the edits from the H67N dsdt to your Z68MA dsdt. In the H67N dsdt, copy the following dsdt device code:
1. Copy H67N Device HDEF to Z68MA Device HDEF
2. Rename Z68MA Device IGD0 to IGPU (all instances of IGD0)
3. Copy H67N Device IGPU to Z68MA Device IGPU
4. Rename Z68MA Device PEGO to PEGP (all instances of PEG0)
5. Copy H67N Device PEGP to Z68MA Device PEGP
6. Compile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back