Contribute
Register

What card should I buy for triple monitor support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm curious what card to buy for triple monitor support in 10.6.8 and Lion.

I have a Sapphire Vapor-X 5770 and I'm tired of trying to get a third monitor working in 10.6.8 and I'm not really sure going to Lion would fix anything.

I want something that will work with minimal effort. My monitors are all VGA/DVI but I have a VGA -> DP adapter and a DVI -> HDMI adapter.

I don't think triple monitor support was every supported in OSX, there was someone on here that posted about getting triple monitors working with some hacking.

In 10.6.7, I was able to get triple monitors working without any effort. I just downloaded the 5770 ktext and it worked.

OS X supports triple monitors. Why else would the new iMac's allow daisy chaining two cinema displays together? And I've seen video guys use 4 monitors on Mac Pros.

Can you post the exact files you use? I've tried probably 30 different ktexts and gone through countless boot failures trying to get it to work with my current card.

This is not really correct
I have a powercolor ati 6850 silent card which works... well... mostly with three monitors (2 x DVI, 1 x active DisplayPort->AIT Adapter, all 1600x1200 pixels). Mostly because it is not always reliable. What exact configuration do you have?
i have:
- PowerColor ATI 6850 silent 1 GB Card
- Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3 Mainboard, 16 GB
- OSX 10.7.2 Lion
- Chimera 1.54 bootloader, MultiBeast 4.03 Installation, DSDT F4 from DSDT Database
- GraphicsEnabler=No Flag in org.chameleon.Boot.plist
- AppleRTC.kext patch via cmops reset fix (sudo perl...)
- Lnx2Mac Network Driver 0.90

This results in
- Working three monitors. If sometimes one of those three (normally the one connected to the upper DVI Port) if kind of "fraggled", sometimes only two monitors are detected. i can send the machine to sleep and wake up and then it works. But sleep is another issue with my install at the moment... I notice that, when i first boot in one of my test-10.7.2 installations and then reboot to my normal installation, it works without "frazzles" of missing screens.
- Qe/Qi not enabled (don't know how to fix that....)
- DVD Player crashes
- Cinebench Score 52.52 (good)
- Geekbech works, 64 Bit 12470 without overclocking

What I want to achieve is:
- DVD Player Working
- Qe/Ci Working Works, I just had to set "System Preferences -> Mission Control -> Show dashboard as space inactive. It worked before but i thought it does not because the ripple effect in dashboard was missing...
- Stable boot and stable sleep

I have reliable, fully working triple monitor support (each 1920x1200) more-or-less OOB with my XFX 6870. I've posted about this elsewhere, but in brief the setup that works for me is:

1 from the HDMI output (HDMI->DVI adapter)
1 from a DVI output (only one DVI will work with this card)
1 using an active miniDP->DVI adapter. I stress: active adapter. Use a passive adapter, and one of the other displays will stop working. You'd need someone who understands this stuff waaaay better than I do to explain why.

One other caution: Under 10.6.8 I was getting some strange graphical corruption on boot from the miniDP-connected monitor. AFAIK, this only happened when using 1920x1200, and was easily fixed by setting the default resolution in com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1200x32</string>

I'm now on 10.7.2, and I don't know whether this is still needed, but I've kept it in anyway.

I've heard both HD 6850 and HD6870 work with Active Display Port to DVI connector OOB under Lion 10.7.2

Am I right?

Is there any nVidia card working with triple monitor setup on OSX Lion?

Can I take XFX HD 6850 instead of XFX HD 6870?
I will just drive three monitor and not four. The benchmark of 6850 and 6870 is similar but 6850 is cheaper.

The only difference I can find is 6850 got 1 display port while 6870 got 2.

However, XFX card usually cannot have Dual DVI to work.

Should I connect HDMI, DVI and Display port and it works fine?

If my monitor got Display Port Input, is that I don't have to buy the Active DP-> DVI adaptor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back