Contribute
Register

What are C and P states and do I need them (GB Z68 Mobo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
Nvidia GTX760
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just updated my hackintosh to the new Lion 10.7.3, using the latest Multibeast. Its a GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 with an i7-2600K and its working (except for sleep) but I now see that Chamelon is newer and has a C-states and P states flag, and a bunch of extra text on bootup. I searched but cannot figure out whether I need all this stuff (yes I see what they are supposed to do but I cannot figure out if I need them or not). Wow, turn away from hackintoshes for a few months and technology passes you by huh.

my org.chameleon.boot.plist says

Code:
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

My hackintosh is a tri-boot - windows 7, Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and Lion 10.7.3. (I need SL and Lion due to conflicting apps that I won't get into but suffice it to say I need both.)

Do I need these C and P activated or not? Sleep not working by the way. And how do I rid myself of that unsightly (but helpful and informative) extra text?

john2in3 said:
I just updated my hackintosh to the new Lion 10.7.3, using the latest Multibeast. Its a GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 with an i7-2600K and its working (except for sleep) but I now see that Chamelon is newer and has a C-states and P states flag, and a bunch of extra text on bootup. I searched but cannot figure out whether I need all this stuff (yes I see what they are supposed to do but I cannot figure out if I need them or not). Wow, turn away from hackintoshes for a few months and technology passes you by huh.

my org.chameleon.boot.plist says

Code:
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

My hackintosh is a tri-boot - windows 7, Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and Lion 10.7.3. (I need SL and Lion due to conflicting apps that I won't get into but suffice it to say I need both.)

Do I need these C and P activated or not? Sleep not working by the way. And how do I rid myself of that unsightly (but helpful and informative) extra text?

As you probably know the C and P states are to do with power management states. These are only used if you are using native (Apple) powermanagement. If you look into the extensions ((system/library/extensions) and/or (extra/extensions) folders) and see the kext "nullcpupowermanagement" then these two lines in your plist are not needed and you can delete them if you want. If that kext is not present and the Apple powermanagement seems to be working them leave theses lines alone. By the way, even if powermanagement doesn't work you can still leave the lines in as they will just be ignored and have no effect.

Extra text during boot probably means that under "kernel Flags" in your plist you have the text "-v". Delete the "-v" to get rid of the extra boot text.

Hope that helps.

Yes, you need them to manage your CPU frequency and power consumption.

No, you wont need them, then your CPU is running at any frequency.

To do this perfect, is a lot of work, motherboard, CPU, DSDT, SSDT must be adjusted
to work at best together.

To do it the easy way, use chameleon or chimera options.
( even if you dont know, how to do this tuning)

if you start experimenting round, be sure to have a clone of your OS on a stick or hdd
to have a recovery boot option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back