Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i5
Graphics
GTX 670 sli
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
can anybody recommend a good webcam that works with facetime/mountain lion.

I'm using a Logitech C270. Shoots 72p, images in photobooth etc look pretty decent and it was cheap!

It doesn't have an official driver from logitech but it was plug and play for me. Works fine

thanks for the reply. does it work on facetime too?

can anybody recommend a good webcam that works with facetime/mountain lion.

I'm actually using an old stand-alone Apple iSight (firewire). It worked intermittently with Lion, but it's been working perfectly in ML. Camera turns on fine with both Messages and Facetime. You could probably find one on eBay.

thanks for the reply. does it work on facetime too?

Yep can confirm facetime works too. All out of box, no need to install drivers. Simple :)

logitech c920 seems to be a popular one with a good few guys here works good for me anyway
and its a good bit better than my quickcam pro for mac is
and it is native it just doesnt have third party software that you dont need

I am upping this post, as I am also looking for a webcam *OOB* compatible with a 10.8.2 Mountain Lion Hack. Of prime importance is full compatibility with facetime and getting good image quality therein. As I have exceeded my budget with my hack, I am looking for a relatively non-expensive one.
According to what I have seen on the forum, most logitech webcams seem OOB compatible, and I am eying the C270 model , 25 USD on amazon. So I would like specific feedback from facetime users of this cam. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FHO5Y6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0MM8T6F2N3FTYP40ZD93&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

I can confirm that the C270 works out of the box. The only thing you have to do is go into the setting and switch Audio to USB device and you set to go in Facetime/PhotoBooth and Skype.

i have tried quite a few generic cheap webcams and provided they are UVC (which stands for USB Video Class) webcams which the majority are, they all worked perfectly.

The only issue I came across was quality of build and functionality which generally followed the trend of "you get what you pay for" the only webcams I came across which did not work were old design ones from before the introduction of the UVC standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back