i5 Ivy Bridge
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

That's a little misleading, but I'll explain.

I've never owned a Mac, but now I have a Hackintosh (HP Probook 4530s).

I have extensive experience with GNU/Linux & Windows. In Windows the OS is installed on one monolithic partition, and I might have several for my own purposes.

But OSX is BSD Unix. In Unix, it's quite common to define specific partition for branches of the file tree. Reasons include selecting separate disks to optimise performance, preventing processes from damaging other sections of the OS, etc.

But OSX (Mountain Lion in my case) asks nothing aside from "where to put it". Am I correct in thinking that OSX is like Windows in this regard? Or have I missed something it would be useful to know as I design my set up?

Thanks for any information.

Cheers,
Bret

Hi,

That's a little misleading, but I'll explain.

I've never owned a Mac, but now I have a Hackintosh (HP Probook 4530s).

I have extensive experience with GNU/Linux & Windows. In Windows the OS is installed on one monolithic partition, and I might have several for my own purposes.

But OSX is BSD Unix. In Unix, it's quite common to define specific partition for branches of the file tree. Reasons include selecting separate disks to optimise performance, preventing processes from damaging other sections of the OS, etc.

But OSX (Mountain Lion in my case) asks nothing aside from "where to put it". Am I correct in thinking that OSX is like Windows in this regard? Or have I missed something it would be useful to know as I design my set up?

Thanks for any information.

Cheers,
Bret

OS X, by default, places everything in one partition, just like Windows. Some people try to work around this, but it usually causes problems. You can, of course, place your personal files where ever you like...

No doubt this is done to simplify things for "normal people" who barely understand the hierarchical file system, let alone that mixed with the concept of partitions, hard links, device mount points, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back