Motherboard
Asus Z97-A
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
580 RX
Mac
  1. iMac
Привет, ребята! Купил себе WD SN770 500 Gb на asus Z97-A. Я понимаю, что скорости 5000мб/с не будет, но мне была важна скорость случайного чтения. Я знаю, что при подключении разъема m.2 к биосу отключены sata express и 2 малых PCI. К первому маленькому слоту PCI был подключен Fenvi 919, и было опасение, что он перестанет работать. так и случилось. Когда-то был установлен macos el capitan от Clover, тогда Fenvi работала только в первом слоте. Но сейчас на open core 0.9.3 macos Monterey установил Fenvi 919 в пятый слот PCI и удача была на моей стороне, Wi-Fi BT работают. скорость случайного чтения и записи очень высока. скорость записи и чтения SSD WD SN770 750 мб/с меня устраивает, а самое главное купил ssd на aliexpress за 30$, восторг. В окнах, скорость чтения/записи 850 мб/с. купил сейчас на будущий новый комп пока стоимость ssd сильно упала.

after buying NVMe/M.2 connector: write speed 2675 / read 2740 JOY

Last edited:
If you are using the NVMe/M.2 connector on the motherboard you will be limiting the drive to 2 x PCIe lanes, as that is all the Z97 boards could provide. Hence the max 750 mb/s speed.

You would be better served using a PCIe adapter like this with your WD SN770 drive:

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 20.30.04.png PCIe NVME adapter, future proof for PCIe 4.0 standards.

An adapter like this with your NVME drive mounted and installed in the bottom PCIe x 16 size slot would provide at least twice the throughput compared to the motherboards built-in connector. I have been using the adapter linked above or similar adapters in a number of Haswell Z97 systems for years, with no issues.

Plus these adapters have no impact on the PCIe x1 slots or SATA ports.

I was very interested in what the m.2 built into the motherboard would give. I have been looking for information about what will come of such an idea for a long time. but didn't find anything. thank you so much for recommending the adapter. because there are also questions about which one to buy. I will buy and report

If you are using the NVMe/M.2 connector on the motherboard you will be limiting the drive to 2 x PCIe lanes, as that is all the Z97 boards could provide. Hence the max 750 mb/s speed.

You would be better served using a PCIe adapter like this with your WD SN770 drive:

View attachment 569214 PCIe NVME adapter, future proof for PCIe 4.0 standards.

An adapter like this with your NVME drive mounted and installed in the bottom PCIe x 16 size slot would provide at least twice the throughput compared to the motherboards built-in connector. I have been using the adapter linked above or similar adapters in a number of Haswell Z97 systems for years, with no issues.

Plus these adapters have no impact on the PCIe x1 slots or

and another question. when i put the ssd into the macos adapter will it still work or will i have to reinstall my monterey?

It will work as it did previously, it is just a case of moving the drive from one connector to another. You may have to check the EFI partition for the NVMe drive is still the main/priority boot drive in your Bios. But other than that it should be a simple switch.

Just so you know the built-in NVMe connector on the Haswell motherboards are limited to 10GB/s, which equates to 750MB/s from the 2 x PCIe lanes being used.

The adapter will access the full 4 x PCIe lanes available on the bottom PCIe x16 size slot. So Read/Write speeds should be a minimum of 2000/1500MB/s respectively. At least those were the speeds I was seeing with an old Samsung SM951 drive from circa 2014/15. Your SN770 drive will probably saturate the PCIe 3.0 standard PCIe x4 slot and the speeds may be up to +50% on these figures.

It will work as it did previously, it is just a case of moving the drive from one connector to another. You may have to check the EFI partition for the NVMe drive is still the main/priority boot drive in your Bios. But other than that it should be a simple switch.

Just so you know the built-in NVMe connector on the Haswell motherboards are limited to 10GB/s, which equates to 750MB/s from the 2 x PCIe lanes being used.

The adapter will access the full 4 x PCIe lanes available on the bottom PCIe x16 size slot. So Read/Write speeds should be a minimum of 2000/1500MB/s respectively. At least those were the speeds I was seeing with an old Samsung SM951 drive from circa 2014/15. Your SN770 drive will probably saturate the PCIe 3.0 standard PCIe x4 slot and the speeds may be up to +50% on these figures.
Thank you. I think this information will be useful to users of the Z97 chip

Good to hear you have it up and running on the PCIe adapter in your Haswell system. It makes a big difference to the speed of the drive compared to a HDD, SSD or using the drive in the built-in NVME connector.

Back