Contribute
Register

Watercooled G5 Hackintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi flatfoot,

I also had the thought of suspending it inside the case, but decided this was a more convenient method for my liking.

This is coursed by the future placement of my PSU, where I will suspend the PSU in the upper part of the case, just below my optical drive.

If you have any good advice concerning an alternative placement of the PSU, I will be glad to hear them :).

I'll put the PSU in the top rear where originally the HDD bay was placed. Others have done that and it just fits there; there's just a hole for the intake to be cut in the divider plate. Then I'll route a power-cable internally down to the original socket at the bottom.

Then you'd have to put the HDDs someplace else, of course.

See my latest post in my work-log for a fairly complete outline of my plans.

Yea, its a nice option, but where to put the HDD then, as you mention? :think:

I would like to fit another PSU in the original G5 PSU casing, but I hvan't been able to find an empty one. Maybe it will show up, later on in my build?.

Hm.. I think I'd better take a closer look at the PSU placement, when I return from my vacation. :beachball:

I'm thinking of getting my case a clearcoat af laquer on the outer side, and keeping the mesh stock.

Anyone with a thought on this?

I think it might look good, but perhaps I should just stick to the standard appearance.

Hm..

Anyone with some nice PS skils? :wave:

nielstm27 said:
Yea, its a nice option, but where to put the HDD then, as you mention? :think:

I for one will hang the HDD bay(s) off the top divider plate. Those aren't as bulky as a PSU and you can easily drill holes in them for mounting as opposed to the PSU. Drilling holes into that will additionally void the warranty and building kind of a frame for it seems a bit much of a hassle to me.

BTW: You have been PMed.

EDIT: Hm, I wouldn't paint the case; kinda like the matte look.

Small, somewhat boring update.

First of all, no pictures this update, since I lost my camera on my vacation. :banghead:

Anyways, the build is all done nearly, except I need a few items for my water-cooling to arrive.

I had a little trouble with my front-audio jack, but I discovered the sensing was different from Apple G5, and normal HDA.

I solved this by installing *Voodoo 2.72, and then manually choosing front headphones.

It's important to notice, that one should remember to turn the "line-in" down/off, or there will be a high pitch noise.

I have made the wires for the rear I/O, but the package with the cut-out part of the G5 logic board is at my parents 5 hours commute away from my place, along with a math test at my university taking up a lot of time.

The system is running with air-cooling at the moment, but should go to water in a couple of weeks I think,

I will upload pictures asap, when I get a way of doing it.

Long last, a few pictures.

I'm still waiting on my last few parts. :beachball:

image-9460_4E5272FD.jpg

image-AB6C_4E5272FD.jpg

image-7248_4E5272FD.jpg

image-793D_4E5272FD.jpg

image-5275_4E5272FD.jpg

image-4D56_4E5272FD.jpg

image-2D00_4E5272FD.jpg

Things are happening :).

image-21CA_4E53CB72.jpg

image-2E53_4E53CB72.jpg

if i were you..i will make some kind of holder for the radiator...to keep the front case clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back