Motherboard
ASUS CM 6870 LGA 1155
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 650
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
HI folks, I am currently using Windows 10 insider Build 15055, newer builds are coming out about 1 per week. I also have a separate Crucial 240 GB SSD with Linux Mint Serena on it. Not overly impressed with that. I would like to try OS X. I have been reading through pages and pages of info on this site and I must admit being more unsure the more I read. What I would like is a recommendation of what version to install on my PC. Here are the specs.
Asustek CM 6870 MB Socket 1155 Ivy Bridge
CPU i7-3770
32 GB 1600MHz DDR3 Ram
Crucial 240 GB SSD
Toshiba 1 TB HHD
ASUS GTX 650 1GB DDR5
Microsoft Wireless 2000 Keyboard & Mouse

I see there is bootable USB drives on eBay that offers different OS X versions on them. I currently have no access to the Apple Store. I am thinking Mountain Lion but one eBay seller is recommending El Capitan with the Clover boot up. Thanks for any and all replies.

Last edited:
It is not legal for Ebay sellers to be reselling OS X USB sticks. Do not buy those, they are not reliable for installing OS X and also violate the rules of this community. Ebay does not stop people from doing that but it is not legal to do so.

You can buy Snow Leopard from Apple on a DVD and use iBoot to install that on your system. Use the HD4000 integrated graphics, not the GT650 to install Snow Leopard. After that you can easily download El Capitan from the Mac App store and get a genuine, unaltered copy from Apple to install. This is the best path to take.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/iboot-3-3-0.38/

HI folks, I am currently using Windows 10 insider Build 15055, newer builds are coming out about 1 per week. I also have a separate Crucial 240 GB SSD with Linux Mint Serena on it. Not overly impressed with that. I would like to try OS X. I have been reading through pages and pages of info on this site and I must admit being more unsure the more I read. What I would like is a recommendation of what version to install on my PC. Here are the specs.
Asustek CM 6870 MB Socket 1155 Ivy Bridge
CPU i7-3770
32 GB 1600MHz DDR3 Ram
Crucial 240 GB SSD
Toshiba 1 TB HHD
ASUS GTX 650 1GB DDR5
Microsoft Wireless 2000 Keyboard & Mouse

I see there is bootable USB drives on eBay that offers different OS X versions on them. I currently have no access to the Apple Store. I am thinking Mountain Lion but one eBay seller is recommending El Capitan with the Clover boot up. Thanks for any and all replies.

Those sorts of Drives are scattered all across the web. They are not legal recommend to borrow a family or a friends Mac and log into the App store using you're Apple ID to obtain the copy of OS X/macOS.

Those sorts of Drives are scattered all across the web. They are not legal recommend to borrow a family or a friends Mac and log into the App store using you're Apple ID to obtain the copy of OS X/macOS.
Thanks, trs96 & VioletDragon for the replies. I will read some more and decide whether to buy the Snow Leopard or maybe buy a used older Mac to start with. I am still going to try with my PC, just have to decide how. I was surprised to see that I had joined almost 4 years ago and just made my first post last week. Can't say I didn't think this through, but I am getting more serious about this. I like the challenge of trying new stuff, 2 new Windows 10 Insider builds this week.

Thanks, trs96 & VioletDragon for the replies. I will read some more and decide whether to buy the Snow Leopard or maybe buy a used older Mac to start with. I am still going to try with my PC, just have to decide how. I was surprised to see that I had joined almost 4 years ago and just made my first post last week. Can't say I didn't think this through, but I am getting more serious about this. I like the challenge of trying new stuff, 2 new Windows 10 Insider builds this week.

Either borrow a friends or families Mac or buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard from the Apple store and use iBoot.

Well, I've ordered Snow Leopard and should be here in a few days. I made a boot able CD with Ivy Bridge Uni-Boot and it does boot, so just waiting now. I will enable on board graphics and install to a spare SSD that I have.

Long story short, I'm now on latest Sierra 10.12.4 since yesterday. Was on El Capitan before that. No audio output on either El Capitan or Sierra. Had internet on El Capitan but when I moved to Sierra, lost internet. I found that I had specified Intel rather than RealTek in Multi-Beast Sierra for network. Ran Multi-Beast again with network change and now working. I use an ethernet connection so unsure of wifi. So, more reading to get audio working. System definition is iMac 14,2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back