Graphics
GeForce GTX 1050
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
In the Buyers Guide I look under older built recommendations supported 10.11.4+

I am replacing my system drive because there not much room left on it. I like to put in a 1 or 2TB System Drive. I want to make a safe and easy install choice. I will clone the system drive then swap them.

I would like to steer clear of the M.2 SSDs that might require a compatible 9 series+ UEFI BIOS to use as boot drive. How would I recognized a M.2 SSD drive to not accidentally buy one? What should I look for that would tell me it’s a M.2 SSD?

It seems like the Samsung 850 EVO 2TB might be an older drive; I am seeing 860’s at stores are there still 850 EVO's on the market?

MacOS 10.12.3 - Sierra
Processor 4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
Graphic NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 4095MB

In the Buyers Guide I look under older built recommendations supported 10.11.4+

I am replacing my system drive because there not much room left on it. I like to put in a 1 or 2TB System Drive. I want to make a safe and easy install choice. I will clone the system drive then swap them.

I would like to steer clear of the M.2 SSDs that might require a compatible 9 series+ UEFI BIOS to use as boot drive. How would I recognized a M.2 SSD drive to not accidentally buy one? What should I look for that would tell me it’s a M.2 SSD?

It seems like the Samsung 850 EVO 2TB might be an older drive; I am seeing 860’s at stores are there still 850 EVO's on the market?

MacOS 10.12.3 - Sierra
Processor 4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
Graphic NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 4095MB
The 860 EVO works good, it should specify if its an NVME or M.2 drive. 860 EVO Sata 6mb/sec is what you're looking for.

The 860 EVO works good, it should specify if its an NVME or M.2 drive. 860 EVO Sata 6mb/sec is what you're looking for.

I opened my box and notice that I don't have all the cables required to connect the new ssd drive. Bigger wider cable looks like it's being daisy chained from one drive to the other and another smaller cables seems like it connects to the motherboard is missing. Does this/these cables come with the new internal ssd drive? Also, when connecting the drive to the motherboard what slot will it connect to. SATA slot? I had a friend help me build my box and don't want to make any wrong connections when adding the new cloned ssd drive. Please see photos attached. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1796.jpg
    IMG_1796.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1795.jpg
    IMG_1795.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 44
I opened my box and notice that I don't have all the cables required to connect the new ssd drive. Bigger wider cable looks like it's being daisy chained from one drive to the other and another smaller cables seems like it connects to the motherboard is missing. Does this/these cables come with the new internal ssd drive? Also, when connecting the drive to the motherboard what slot will it connect to. SATA slot? I had a friend help me build my box and don't want to make any wrong connections when adding the new cloned ssd drive. Please see photos attached. Thank you
the smaller cable is a sata cable, assuming that your motherboard have 4 sata( i see in the pic that u have 3 disks) if u doesn’t have a cdrom there is a free sata for the new ssd. U can clone to the now one with utility disk on your hack

The larger cable is the power so the daisy chain is not a problem. Make sure the Sata (Small) cable is attached to the Mobo. These Sata cables come with the motherboard not the drive.

The larger cable is the power so the daisy chain is not a problem. Make sure the Sata (Small) cable is attached to the Mobo. These Sata cables come with the motherboard not the drive.

Thanks, I just want to make sure I connect the drive to the right part of the motherboard so I can clone it. Here's one screenshot of the connections, I believe. Maybe this photo will help; is it the connection where the white label or would it be below the label and on the other side of the black plug with the silver release?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 3.39.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 3.39.42 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 40
Here’s what the Sata socket looks like. I can’t tell from your picture so here’s a couple of shots of mine.

View attachment 469124View attachment 469125
Thanks for the fast reply,
Yes, my picture is my angle of access. Before I make the connection I'll try to squeeze past the cable management on the other side to get a better view of the connection. Therefore it doesn't matter which slot it goes in; as I am replacing the present System Drive once it's cloned? Once it's cloned I can just disconnect the old system drive and the boot up will find or search for the new system on the new drive?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 2.08.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 2.08.23 PM.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back