Contribute
Register

Want Windows 10 dual booted and activated, 10.11 already installed via clover. Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z97-A/3.1 with Thunderbolt card
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
Nvidia 750 Ti
So Im seeking some advice and tips on how to safely dual boot Windows and OSx together with my hardware.

Im using z-97/3.1 mobo and am booting off an M.2 SSD AHCI. Im using an optical 3TB disk for storage. I currently have a good running hackintosh system on el capitain, but now would like to be able to dual boot.

How would one go about proceeding with installing windows without screwing something up on the back side of the boot drive? Would I use the same M.2 SSD as the boot drive for both windows and OSx? Or is it better to have a separate drive? I mainly want to be able to run an purchased/activated version of windows that is stable, and have my OSx secondary. I would like windows so I can use my thunderbolt drive, as well as use solidworks.

Would installing windows 10 after installing el capitan cause issues with activating windows?

Or if its going to be unstable and a pain, is there another way to get thunderbolt drivers installed for the z-97a without installing windows?

So Im seeking some advice and tips on how to safely dual boot Windows and OSx together with my hardware.

Im using z-97/3.1 mobo and am booting off an M.2 SSD AHCI. Im using an optical 3TB disk for storage. I currently have a good running hackintosh system on el capitain, but now would like to be able to dual boot.

How would one go about proceeding with installing windows without screwing something up on the back side of the boot drive? Would I use the same M.2 SSD as the boot drive for both windows and OSx? Or is it better to have a separate drive? I mainly want to be able to run an purchased/activated version of windows that is stable, and have my OSx secondary. I would like windows so I can use my thunderbolt drive, as well as use solidworks.

Would installing windows 10 after installing el capitan cause issues with activating windows?

Or if its going to be unstable and a pain, is there another way to get thunderbolt drivers installed for the z-97a without installing windows?
Your best bet is a separate drive for Win10. It will save :banghead: after installing Win10 trying to get the boot loader to work again and more :banghead::banghead: later when it comes time to update/upgrade either OS and the other one no longer boots after the update/upgrade.

Separate drives, disconnect all drives except the one you are installing or upgrading, then reconnect and reset drive boot order in UEFI/BIOS. Makes it easy - connect drive A, install OS X, disconnect drive A, connect Drive B, install Win10, activate it, reconnect drive A, boot to UEFI/BIOS and set drive A as first in drive boot order. Disconnect all other drives anytime you are making upgrade/update to an OS, especially Win10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back