Graphics
asus silent en9600gt
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
searched the golden idol ( google) searched the propecies of Elijah (Tonymacx86) to no avail. what I'm looking for is a guide to upgrading my cpu to a faster one (i5 661 to i7 870) all else to remain the same. seems to me there is bound to be one somewhere. Its not like i'm the first guy to want to upgrade a hackintosh.
So people who have the wisdom pass it on: I'm all ears.

c'mon then... Surely one of you must have tumbled upon what, to me- is the holy grail.

Assuming you don't wish to change your motherboard - just buy an upgraded CPU compatible with you M/B. Install it and boot. If it fails to boot (which it likely will !!) then you'll have to either reinstall OSX and / or run multi beast again.

Given that motherboards are relatively cheap you may with to pick a new one like a Gigabyte model that is supported with a custom DSDT AML file then get a compatible processor that suits you.

disco_in_my_punk said:
searched the golden idol ( google) searched the propecies of Elijah (Tonymacx86) to no avail. what I'm looking for is a guide to upgrading my cpu to a faster one (i5 661 to i7 870) all else to remain the same. seems to me there is bound to be one somewhere. Its not like i'm the first guy to want to upgrade a hackintosh.
So people who have the wisdom pass it on: I'm all ears.

What sort of information are you looking for? Going to the i7-870 on your system is just a matter of swapping CPUs. Well not really. In most cases you will need to completely disassemble the system to get the motherboard out where you can remove the CPU cooler and then swap the CPUs.

If you are not familiar with PC building then you may want to enlist a friend that is.

Also, i would consider upgrading the CPU cooler at this time.

I have swapped CPUs many times and do not see this as great problem. Most times the OS installation is not impacted. I do not run Win 7 or native Win XP so my advice is based upon OS X.

As a side note, changing video cards presents a greater risk is disturbing you OS.

neil

Thanks Jaspercat and Neilhart. for your patient and knowledgeable responses.

I built the system myself and i chose a fairly decent cpu cooler already, a scythe ninja mini. I've already purchased the new cpu and it should just drop in but I thought there may be some diffs with the multiplier and wanted to know the specific route to take to re-enable functionality. Your information is most appreciated.

I have to say as is my build is quite peppy, exceptionally stable and doesn't strain under Logic Studio 2 which is the reason I'm running OSX to begin with. However it is not the best choice for Adobe Premier and After Effects both CS4.
( as a sidebar I can't afford the upgrade path and I can't write it off on taxes, as for pirating- the info I have on my computer is revenue generating and to lose it or have others access it, would be crippling)
As for the mobo its a gigabyte board -specifically a p55-ud4p, and as such,already has a nicely written DSDT updated for the last BIOS release. Good board too BTW, cost effective, nicely featured, and most importantly highly compatible.

Take Care and again -very much appreciated.

for anyone reading this the install went just fine and I did not have to make any adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back