Contribute
Register

Want to convert existing machine into a Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 6850 works great, but the only catch is that (assuming you're installing Mountain Lion), you'll need to install with the HD4000 integrated graphics. Once the install completes, you can stick in the 6850 and you'll be good to go.

Yes, I read that in the post you supplied. That's no problem. We used to have to do that all the time with older versions of Windows whenever we changed/upgraded video cards.

Not if the OP's going with a 6850 - he'll need the integrated HD4000 graphics for the installation. The non-k version comes with HD2500 graphics, which aren't supported.

That's a very good point that I would not have thought of. It doesn't really matter, though, as I always go with the unlocked version of a CPU because I do my share of overclocking for Windows. Nothing major, just whatever I can get stable on air cooling. I don't get into elaborate water setups and stuff like that. That being said, though, I probably will not be overclocking this machine as I am a complete Mac novice.

One last thing. Is there a way to have three hard drives set up like this:

1. Mac OS-X (SSD)
2. Windows 7 x64 (SSD)
3. Data drive for all media (photos, videos, etc.) (2TB Western Digital mechanical drive)

I want either OS that I boot to be able to read from the data drive, so we could play videos or see photos from either OS?

Everybody, thank you for all your help. Your input has been totally invaluable.

David

If you plan on storing large video files (over 4GB) on the storage drive, I would format it NTFS. Then Purchase Paragon NTFS for Mac. It will allow you to read and write to an NTFS formatted drive. Paragon also makes software so that Windows can read and write to an HFS+ formatted drive. I use both and the latest versions of each work just fine.

Not if the OP's going with a 6850 - he'll need the integrated HD4000 graphics for the installation. The non-k version comes with HD2500 graphics, which aren't supported.

Good point :thumbup:

Yes, I read that in the post you supplied. That's no problem. We used to have to do that all the time with older versions of Windows whenever we changed/upgraded video cards.

That's a very good point that I would not have thought of. It doesn't really matter, though, as I always go with the unlocked version of a CPU because I do my share of overclocking for Windows. Nothing major, just whatever I can get stable on air cooling. I don't get into elaborate water setups and stuff like that. That being said, though, I probably will not be overclocking this machine as I am a complete Mac novice.

One last thing. Is there a way to have three hard drives set up like this:

1. Mac OS-X (SSD)
2. Windows 7 x64 (SSD)
3. Data drive for all media (photos, videos, etc.) (2TB Western Digital mechanical drive)

I want either OS that I boot to be able to read from the data drive, so we could play videos or see photos from either OS?

Everybody, thank you for all your help. Your input has been totally invaluable.

David

Overclocking isn't really any different with OS X. Read the overclocking sub forum for an idea of how it works (I don't OC so I'm not an expert, but the guys who do it make it sound easy). Your hard drive set up looks great. Like cseistrup mentioned above, you have a few options for a Mac-Windows shared drive. You could use NTFS or HFS+ with an appropriate driver system for the unsupported OS, or you could use FAT32 (but no files over 4GB) or exFAT (which has some issues but in my opinion is the best choice as it is natively supported in both OSes and has no file size limit). Do a little research and you should be able to find a system that works for you.

I took a look at Paragon NTFS and it sounds perfect. Actually, it really sounds like the only solution because all of the video files are ripped DVDs in ISO format. These are all over 4GB and there's about 1.6 TB worth of them. Plus, since they're all on my existing drive, it's already formated NTFS. Unfortunately, I don't have any resource to offload them while I would change the format of the drive. So this way, I can simply leave it the way it is, and just hook it up when everything else is working.

One amazing thing that came about today. Last week I told a friend of mine that I was planning this project and was scoffed at. He is a Mac user and laughed at the idea, saying "why don't you just get a Mac?" After explaining that I did not have the means to, the conversation ended. THEN, today, he shows up and tells me all about the new iMac he just purchased. Of course he has the resources to do this where I do not. One thing I know, though, is that when my system is up and running, he will want one. So my question is this: can the reverse of what I'm doing be accomplished? Can you load Windows on an iMac?

Thanks,

David

In addition to boot camp (which offers simple dual-boot functionality), there are two programs that offer a more robust feature set, including the ability to run Windows alongside OS X.

These are VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop. They run Windows inside of OS X, and you can use your Windows apps alongside the Mac ones. Check out their sites for an idea of what they can do.

In addition to boot camp (which offers simple dual-boot functionality), there are two programs that offer a more robust feature set, including the ability to run Windows alongside OS X.

These are VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop. They run Windows inside of OS X, and you can use your Windows apps alongside the Mac ones. Check out their sites for an idea of what they can do.

I would only call them more "robust" if you only want to use basic applications. If you want to use your real mac for playing windows games. Bootcamp is the only way to go, and The Virtualization software can still access your bootcamp partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back