Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've been trying to figure this one out for a while.

I have two monitors hooked up to my GTX 780ti in 10.9.0. Top monitor is an old dell 20" and the bottom is a LG 27EA83.

Whenever I reboot, the bottom monitors wallpaper is reset to some stock picture and if I trigger mission control, I notice I have an extra desktop open. Every reboot opens another desktop. It's almost like it thinks the 27" monitor is a new monitor after every reboot. I don't think the 20" has the same issue.

If I unplug the 20" and leave only the problem monitor connected, then after a reboot, the monitor goes to sleep and doesn't wake up with mouse or keyboard actions. Instead, I have to turn the monitor off and then turn it back on. Now, if I do this, the wallpaper is correct and mission control doesn't have another virtual desktop created.

Also, if I hard reboot the computer without going through the menus (like if the system freezes), then everything is good when the next boot comes up. I'll boot the system, Mavericks will go to an all gray screen saying that the last shutdown was unexpected, do I want to reopen all my last opened programs, I click cancel, and everything is good. Obviously this is not a good fix...

I have the latest Nvidia web drivers as these are the only drivers that work for the 780ti in Mavericks.

By the way, the 27" monitor is connected via DisplayPort and the 20" is connected via DVI.

When I look in system preferences, I notice that the 20" monitor's serial shows up, but the 27" monitor's serial never does (even if the wallpaper stuck after doing one of the two action above).

I don't think it's an issue with the UUID or serial number, as I've tried multiple. Everything else seems to be fine, just this last thing!

Any help is appreciated.

So, it seems that this problem happens when my 27" monitor (hooked up via DisplayPort) is asleep when OS X loads the desktop. If during the booting process, I hit the menu button on the monitor and it turns on, and stays on until the desktop loads, everything seems fine...

So if there is some way to get the bootloader to turn both monitors on during boot, that would work.

This also explains why a hard reboot seems to help. Since after a hard reboot Mavericks loads a gray screen waiting for user input, the 27" monitor turns on before I can click ok (which then loads the desktop).

Anyone have any ideas?

Unfortunately, this 27" monitor goes to sleep pretty quick when it doesn't have a signal. In the meantime, I just have to mash the menu button until the desktop loads, but I'd prefer a better solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back