Contribute
Register

Wake on LAN from sleep (no display, and autowakes?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoQ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Let me explain, I have two issues (both related to Wake on LAN from sleep).
If I use sleep on my Hackintosh it works great, it goes to sleep, and wakes up when I move my mouse or touch my keyboard (and I get display signal too).

Here is the issue. If I put it to sleep, and wake it up with Wake On LAN, the computer will turn on (but no display signal is shown), so it goes back to sleep after 20 seconds. This would never happen if woken by mouse/keyboard.
But if I use Wake On LAN and press the mouse button (like you do when you wake the display), it will show display signal. (You have to do this before it goes back to sleep).

The next issue I have is that after using Wake On LAN to wake it up from sleep, and put it to sleep again, it will immidiatly wake up again. This never happens if I sleep and wake without Wake On LAN.

These are the logs I have collected (log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"):
Waking up normally with mouse movement:
2019-06-15 11:25:05.233699+0200 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: GLAN 2019-06-15 11:25:05.233704+0200 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: GLAN

Wake On LAN:
2019-06-15 11:26:12.969390+0200 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: PEG1 PEGP PEG2 PEGP PXSX PXSX (Network) 2019-06-15 11:26:12.969396+0200 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: PEG1 PEGP PEG2 PEGP PXSX PXSX (Network)

Automatically wake up after using WOL and put it to sleep:
2019-06-15 11:27:51.275384+0200 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: ? 2019-06-15 11:27:51.275389+0200 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: ?

Do you guys have any ideas?

how did you wake on lan? What apps/tools did you use to wake your macOS from lan?

how did you wake on lan? What apps/tools did you use to wake your macOS from lan?
I have no special tools. Just using Wake on lan from another device (when my Hackintosh is in Sleep) doesn't work from shutoff. But it's not usable right now for me.

ok i understand you checked the box at Settings / Energy Saver / Wake for network access, but how did you wake it from another device?

ok i understand you checked the box at Settings / Energy Saver / Wake for network access, but how did you wake it from another device?
Google "wake on lan apps"

So you do have some kind of Apps to do that.

This is the define of WOL on macOS,

Wake for network access Users can access your computer’s shared resources, such as shared printers or iTunes playlists, even when your computer is in sleep mode.

so answers for your questions:

1. wake on lan, 20s later goes to sleep, because you did not access any shared stuff on macOS, so it goes back to sleep
2. wake on lan, put to sleep manually, wake automatically right away, try to close your Apps on the other devices before putting it to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back