Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z790 TUF Gaming Pus WFFi
CPU
i7-13700K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Hello all,

I'm running Mojave 10.14.5 on an Asus X99a-ii, connected to a router through Ethernet via a power line adapter.

I'm trying to setup WOL since I need to have access to the computer when I'm away. I've done the following:

Enable Wake for network access under Energy Saver tab in System Preferences

Enable Wake on Lan in Bios

Assigned static IP address in network settings(192.168.1.123)

Enabled port forwarding in my router, using port 9 and the MAC address of my computer(tried using and/only the IP address, get the same results)

Using "pmeset -g" in Terminal returns the following:

hibernatemode 0
powernap 0
womp 1
networkoversleep 1
sleep 0 (sleep prevented by nfsd)
Sleep On Power Button 1
proximitywake 1
ttyskeepawake 1
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
disksleep 0
displaysleep 30

I'm using Mocha WOL on my iPhone to turn on the computer(I shut down, don't sleep) and here's what happens:

If the iPhone is connected to the network, computer turns on just fine, indicating that the ethernet interface is powered fine and the problem is probably not there.

If the iPhone is on 4g, computer doesn't turn on.

When the computer is on and logged in properly, using "nc -l -u 9" in Terminal I see that it receives the packet from the phone when sending it through 4g, therefore it appears like packets arrive just fine through the router, yet they only seem to work when computer is on already.

Could it be that the router is "forgetting" the computer's MAC or IP address when it is off? It's a Sercom Speedport Plus if it helps.

Any idea, more than welcome!

@Petros how are you making the LAN to keep powered on after shutdown? Are you using Clover or Open Core? I am not even able to use the local network to do WoL after macOS shuts down! (I am multi-booting, and only macOS does a full shutdown, others are fine)

Last edited:
@Petros how are you making the LAN to keep powered on after shutdown? Are you using Clover or Open Core? I am not even able to use the local network to do WoL after macOS shuts down! (I am multi-booting, and only macOS does a full shutdown, others are fine)

I think I simply ticked the "Wake for Network access" box in Energy Saver settings.
I also edited intelmausiethernet.kext's plist to enable networkoversleep (now it is on when I type peseta -g in Terminal) though that should have nothing to do as I don't ever put the comp to sleep, just shut down.

Turned out it was a router issue, not OSX...

I think I simply ticked the "Wake for Network access" box in Energy Saver settings.
I also edited intelmausiethernet.kext's plist to enable networkoversleep (now it is on when I type peseta -g in Terminal) though that should have nothing to do as I don't ever put the comp to sleep, just shut down.

Oh, I haven't changed the intelmausiethernet.kext's plist, is it the info.plist you're referring to? can you please tell me what exactly you added to enable networkoversleep?

Although as you said, it has less to do with shutdown, but when I shutdown it turns off the LAN power too, so not sure still how it can be done.

Last edited:
Download kext source from repo.

Change lines 174 and 175 of IntelMausiEthernet.cpp to TRUE:

wolCapable = true;
wolActive = true;

Recompile and test:)

Try this as well:

pmset -a networkoversleep 1

Wow, thanks! recompiling the kext with that change worked! Why this is not already made through with the actual kext? that seems strange!

I experience a weird issue now that after some hours passed after shutdown the LAN power turns off! Does the sleep time in Energy setting affect the shutdown as well? or may be the disksleep time?

Edit: Strangely enough, I have disabled BIOS WoL and booted, and the re-enabled it again and permanently disabled `Wake for network access` and now LAN remains powered (LED on) permanently! No idea what caused this though, but to me it seems some BIOS resetting were required, after IntelMausi kext patch.

Last edited:
Hey. @hyphenbash and @Petros .
I have the same problems, no nic activity after shutdown. Can you please share the modified Maussi kext?

having problems to wake hack up with teamviewer.

how do you recompile kext? is there possibility to download kext file already with those (wolcapable, wolactive) values changed? would really like to try if this helps.
never compiled them myself.

You have to download the .xcodeproj folder from GitHub, open it with Xcode, change the values, compile in Xcode. I'm away now, otherwise I'd upload the kext myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back