Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I'm trying to install the retail Mac OSX I bought which is version 10.6.3 onto the existing PC I had. Now this wasn't actually something I originally planned to do, but shortly after purchising all the parts I discovered that, hey, this is identical to the latest iMac AND the motherboard is supported.

Unfortunately I've run into the Waiting for boot volume problem. It prints that message followed by:
Waiting for <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID"1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
Still waiting for root device.

Now, I've seen a lot of people deal with this error. They all speak of the SATA hardware configuration, but frankly I don't understand it. How do I check that my primary SATA port is connected to my DVD drive? Is there any way to circumvent this problem?

Here are the parts I've got:
Intel Core i7-950 @ 3.06GHz (stock)
ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA1333
4GB of DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz
128GB SSD from Corsair (X-25 I think it's called)
Plextor DVD+-RW burner
Logitech G15 keyboard
Logitech G500 mouse
Samsung SyncMaster P2470HD monitor

Already tried -x and PCIRootUID=1.
Any help would be very much appreciated! :D

The Asus board has SATA 3, SATA 6 and RAID, I suggest you try the following:

Use the 1st (TOP) white Sata Port on your P6X58D-E for your Snow Leopard (to be installed) HDD. Use the 1st blue Sata for your DVD drive

That might help, Snow Leopard can be very picky on Asus boards!

Ishayu said:
So I'm trying to install the retail Mac OSX I bought which is version 10.6.3 onto the existing PC I had. Now this wasn't actually something I originally planned to do, but shortly after purchising all the parts I discovered that, hey, this is identical to the latest iMac AND the motherboard is supported.

Unfortunately I've run into the Waiting for boot volume problem. It prints that message followed by:
Waiting for <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID"1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
Still waiting for root device.

Now, I've seen a lot of people deal with this error. They all speak of the SATA hardware configuration, but frankly I don't understand it. How do I check that my primary SATA port is connected to my DVD drive? Is there any way to circumvent this problem?

Here are the parts I've got:
Intel Core i7-950 @ 3.06GHz (stock)
ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA1333
4GB of DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz
128GB SSD from Corsair (X-25 I think it's called)
Plextor DVD+-RW burner
Logitech G15 keyboard
Logitech G500 mouse
Samsung SyncMaster P2470HD monitor

Already tried -x and PCIRootUID=1.
Any help would be very much appreciated! :D
For the Sabertooth X58 install you need to do the following:

1) DVD drive MUST be connect to SATA II port 0 and HD to SATA 3 port 0.
2) Boot with iBoot and install
3) Before booting from hard drive after installation move HD to SATA II port 0 and DVD to any other SATA II port.
3) Boot with iBoot and finish installation and run MultiBeast.

Thank you so much for your replies. It actually helped but sadly it wasn't quite enough.

So I got past the bootscreen with your useful advice as well as "PCIRootUID = 1 -x"
-x because it's 10.6.3, which means no driver support for my graphics card and a bunch of other stuff.
PCIRootUID because it fails when it's initializing the power manager otherwise.

I try to install but...
My harddisk isn't there. It just plain isn't there. Not in the disc utility or anything. iBoot can see it. I believe I put it on the right port (it's called SATA III 6Gb/s port 1) (it counts from 1 to 2).
However, this is actually an empty drive with a full NTFS partition on it as well as a completely dead GRUB bootloader.
Skip if you don't care:
====================
It used to be my Linux HDD, but I don't want to use Linux anymore because frankly Ubuntu 11.04 is the worst crap I've ever seen. It's literally startelingly crap. It barely runs at all and if it doesn't it's sloooooow. The desktop has the same performance that Crysis does on Windows. On max. ... >_>
====================

Any further advice would be welcome.

I don't think that SATA 6 ports will work with Snow Leopard. It is not supported IIRC.

Well as far as I know I have those two kinds of ports. You guys seem to suggest otherwise. I'm confused.

My SATA ports look like this:

White Black Black Black
White Black Black Black

Their numbers are:
port 1 port 5 port 3 port 1
port 2 port 6 port 4 port 2

I put the HDD into the white one and the DVD into the black one. Doing it any other way makes the DVD unstable to boot (with the pinwheel of death)
The harddisk cannot be detected.

Is it possible I need to put the harddisk on any port that isn't a white one, then switch them around once I'm done?

The white ones are the Serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors
The Black ones are the Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s connectors

White.....................Black
1.......................5 3 1
2.......................6 4 2

So DVD in Black #1
and HDD in White #1

If I am reading your user manual correct.

The white is the USB3.0 and the Black is the USB2.0

Thanks everybody. I am writing this inside Mac OSX. :D
I had forgotten to set the reboot process thingymagiccy to only S3 and under the Advanced Tab it was apparently reading everything as SATA but booting it as IDE, which basically explains _EVERYTHING_. :banghead: Sure enough, once I made those changes the harddrive did show up, and here I am to tell the tale.

It's running in safe mode though. Downloading the combo update. I'll update if I fully succeed and write a guide for good measure. Nothing better than giving back.

Thanks everybody.

I've just installed the 10.6.7 update, but I've run into a problem that's putting me at a halt.

I tried to install MultiBeast, but it crashed on me when I finally got to selecting which components to install. Now, the installer asks which disc I want to install to - but provides no selections.

If I reboot, I can't start OSX up again.

What should I do?

The DVD actually disables! I discovered this today. It doesn't matter which program that tries to access the harddisk at this point - it'll freeze. The multibeast installer also freezes. And so what happens is when I restart that program it'll sit there waiting for my DVD drive to give it some info as to whether or not there can be installed on it and simply doesn't display any options as a consequence, apparently.

I'm still able to access my harddrive.

Are there actually Mac OSX-incompatible DVD drives? Could I be having such a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back