Contribute
Register

Wait for Haswell or build my new hackintosh now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X
CPU
i5-12600K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, I'll be building my new Hackintosh (an upgrade from a P55 system) in the next 2-3 months. Mainly so I can use USB 3.0, Sata III and the UEFI Bios along with the CPU performance boost.

I'm just wondering if I should wait for Haswell (which I think launches on June 1st) or go ahead sooner. As far as I can see the pros for waiting are that Haswell will be faster with more USB 3.0 ports and the newer technologies will have been given time to evolve.

The cons are that it won't be that much faster and, as always, the Hackintosh community will take a while to catch up. Ivy Bridge has been around a while and pretty much worked out - there are kexts and workarounds for most motherboards.

And back to the build, if I go Ivy Bridge, are Gigabyte motherboards still usually the most Hackintosh friendly?

Any help appreciated, Paul

Did you read last week's discussion in this very forum about Haswell?
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/90971-should-i-wait-haswell.html

I'm just wondering if I should wait for Haswell (which I think launches on June 1st) or go ahead sooner.
Intel's launch of the chip is probably not the interesting date. Apple's first shipment of a machine that uses the chip (and thus an update to OS X which supports it) seems much more relevant. Oh, and the shipment of motherboards with the right socket, and time for the testing/porting work to be done.
Do you want to be part of the shock troops?

And back to the build, if I go Ivy Bridge, are Gigabyte motherboards still usually the most Hackintosh friendly?
Yep. Others work too, but the current GA boards are usually safe bets.

Did you read last week's discussion in this very forum about Haswell?
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/90971-should-i-wait-haswell.html
Apologies (goes off to read thread). As you can probably tell I'm not a frequent visitor to the forum. I looked at the first page but really should have done a search as well to make sure :thumbdown:. Apologies again (and thanks for your very good post in the linked thread too :thumbup:).

I'll go Ivy Bridge and consider this thread closed with this post.

I feel if you play the waiting game that is all you will do. Let's face it there is always something new coming out. So if you wait that is all you will do weather it is a new CPU or GPU or something else there will always be a new one coming. I say get what you need now and do not worry about what is coming out next. By the time you really need it the bugs will be worked out and support will be there for the product.

I feel if you play the waiting game that is all you will do. Let's face it there is always something new coming out. So if you wait that is all you will do weather it is a new CPU or GPU or something else there will always be a new one coming. I say get what you need now and do not worry about what is coming out next. By the time you really need it the bugs will be worked out and support will be there for the product.

Thanks bryonhowley - I think that's a good attitude to take, and I've just gone and drawn up a list of Ivy Bridge components to buy once finances allow. The bugs and support thing struck a chord, as hopefully if I go down this route and get stuck, most problems will have been dealt with and solutions already drawn up. Thanks again, Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back