Contribute
Register

VPN - Cant connect to windows 2003 server (SMB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP2

Motherboard
ASRock X99e-ITX/AC
CPU
Intel i7-5820K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 970
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Im having some issues :( when i dial into my office with my vpn connection, it shows me im connected and so does the firewall/router, but i cant use SMB protocol to connect to it. any thoughts on how to fix this? using a ga-z68m-d2h mobo.

FYI, i use the exact same config with my macbook air and i connect fine.

AP2 said:
Im having some issues :( when i dial into my office with my vpn connection, it shows me im connected and so does the firewall/router, but i cant use SMB protocol to connect to it. any thoughts on how to fix this? using a ga-z68m-d2h mobo.
Can you ping a machine with fixed IP in the office?
Also, what ip-range are you using at home, and which in the office? (that is both behind the routers, so private ranges).
I know from experience they need to be on different subnets, because otherwise they are not routable.

example:
Ip-range office: 192.168.1.x
Then home should be 192.168.2.x

Bet is to use an uncommen range in the office, because 192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x, 10.0.1.x etc. are widely used as default range on routers.

Hope this helps you in the direction of a solution.

Greetz

EDIT: What vpn client are you using? I use Tunnelblick, which is nice...

thanks for the suggestions and the reply.

im currently using fortinet boxes at both ends (home and office). the ip range on both units are 192.168.X.XXX and are on 255.255.255.0 subnet. what i dont get is, on my macbook air (usb ethernet) i can vpn connect to my office and remote desktop to my windows server - no problem. hackintosh using lnx2 ethernet driver i can establish a connection, but remote desktop top client will not connect to the server :(

also, after the vpn tunnel has been established, i cant connect to my server by smb://IP ADDRESS under GO tab.

EDIT: Cant ping any static IP address either. Maybe its a driver issue?

You can always try the usb ethernet on your hack, with should be detected by default.
That way you can narrow the scope of your problem down to i.e. driver issues.

If your MBA can connect with exactly the same settings, I also might search in that direction.

psydafke said:
You can always try the usb ethernet on your hack, with should be detected by default.
That way you can narrow the scope of your problem down to i.e. driver issues.

If your MBA can connect with exactly the same settings, I also might search in that direction.

great idea! dont know why i didnt think about using the USB ethernet on the hackintosh. interesting thing though - from my MBA i vpn into my office network, remote to my server, and i can attach to my hackintosh server to my windows server.

so at this point, im thinking its a driver issue.

just a quick update... microsoft remote desktop client does not work with the lynx2mac or realtek driver. i ended up purchasing a sonnet presto pro network card and it fixed all my issues.

Thanks for the update.
I haven't had any issues before, since i'm using OpenVPN in combination with Tunnelblick client. Works very well, didn't have any issues with RDC either.
This was tried on my old (and stable) GA-P35-DS3L, and new X79-UD5 (which has an intel nic)

Same here, it's all due to the faulty network connectivity of the onboard nics.
I've had the same problem doing VNC (with Chicken) to my solaris11 server, while the web-management with napp-it was always working fine.
I have the same problem even with the real airport on my hackintosh, but it is much less frequent (still experienced time to time). As the sonnet presto isn't easily available in all countries, I'd like to know if the usb ethernet works for you in your VNC scenario, AP2. Can you please test out once?

Thank you in advance.

OK no news so far so I've asked a friend of mine and he had the usb ethernet adaptor.
Tried yesterday copying 100 giga of files from a samba share (WHS2011) to lion.
The connection failed two times but I've been able to copy everything. I can confirm that Wifi with the real airport card is no way close to cable ethernet not only in terms of performance (well this is clear) but also in terms of reliability. Shares simply won't work using wifi.
Going to get the sonnet card.

AP2 said:
just a quick update... microsoft remote desktop client does not work with the lynx2mac or realtek driver. i ended up purchasing a sonnet presto pro network card and it fixed all my issues.
LOL... watch out.. they might delete this thread if you mentioned the Sonnet NIC fixes weird network problems.

I use RDC here too to manage my client's numerous remote servers, and no problems. Could leave it connected for hours and no drop connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back