Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all

I saw this advertised on this site. For the price, it could be a very very cheap build.

Thoughts?
Good deal for Win 8.1 but not OS X. It's got an Atom cpu. No support in OS X for the Atom.

I read you can patch your kernel to support Intel atom.

I know this site doesn't support patching kernels but isn't it possible at all?

What about the graphics?

It may be possible but we don't offer support or have guides for Atom installs. You'd need
to use Google if you want to give it a go.

Here is the lowest cost, smallest micro pc that we recommend.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HFCTV4W/?tag=tonymacx86-21

I believe the non H version costs slightly less (15 pounds) and needs at least 4GB of laptop ram and an mSata ssd to make it work. I wouldn't even try to run Yosemite on 2GB of ram and it likely isn't going
to be upgradeable in the Voyo.

I have the mid-2009 MacBook which originally came with 2GB ram. It is still supported in yosemite. However, I did upgrade it to 4GB of ram.

I guess I'd like the challenge but I'll leave it. That's why we join this site isn't it?

I have the mid-2009 MacBook which originally came with 2GB ram. It is still supported in yosemite. However, I did upgrade it to 4GB of ram.
Here's what you'd experience much of the time with 2 GB of ram and that Atom CPU :beachball::beachball::beachball:
spinning beach balls quite frequently. The version of Win 8.1 is 32 bit therefore you can get
by with 2 gb of ram for Windows. OS X Yosemite is 64 bit only, that's why more ram is necessary.
Older versions like Snow Leopard and Lion wouldn't be an option on the Voyo either.

As a proof of concept challenge it would be interesting to get Yosemite running on a tiny Atom box, but even if you could get it working, its performance would be dreadful. Your i3-3225 build would fly like a 12-core Mac Pro by comparison.

I built an Atom Hackintosh with a hacked kernel years ago. Ran Snow Leopard just barely, beach balls all the time, such a waste of my time. There's a reason Apple never built an Atom-based Mac and doesn't support the chipset in OS X. Forget about applications, it can barely run the OS. It's just not even minimally acceptable in anything but a simple NAS file server, and even then I'd want more horsepower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back