Contribute
Register

Vostro 3xxx series - Installation and dual boot guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
minihack said:
Hey Blackshore,
I looked at the plist and the device-property string didn't look right.
Try the attached plist and see what happens. You can try both with the graphicsenabler=yes and then try with "no" to see the difference.
The DSDT part of the graphics was just cosmetic you can just if you want open up dsdtse and search 330m and replace with 310M (but this will not make a difference to whether the graphics works or not - I think that problem was due to the plist).
Remember just change one thing at a time and then report what the difference is....
Thanks.
com.apple.Boot.plist

Thanks mini,
But there is something wrong, can't quite put my finger on it.
I made a fresh install to 10.6.3.
The reason for this was to test out if there was a possible to get it to HDD boot if I made more partitions.
That did not work (GPT).

After installing the kexts with kext utility I booted up with Iboot..not Iboot vostro but regular I boot.
The cpu is recongnized correctly and the graphics is to!!
How is this possible?

Is it something wrong with the device string in the com.apple.Boot.plist?
I searched a bit about producing the device string and the device string is only for the gfx? right?

I have a 330m and I have a i7 just to point out again.

I checked the iboot vostro for the com.boot.plist and
looked for what was written in there..and there was almost nothing..

Could the harddrive /extra folder cause issues with the usb one?

I just notice that this post has allot of questions :p
Sorry

I'll be studing up on chameleon/bootloaders and then continue the work. I feel to unsecure and
unapprised for now.. So I'll get back when I get more weight.

Hi Minihack,
Just updated to 10.6.7 with Software Update
It didn't brake anything.
I'm waiting for my Dell Wireless card i ordered from Taiwan...

Any news about progress on Speedstep ?

Reboot Loop

I reinstalled using the updated guide, still on 10.6.3 (following all directions properly)but seem to be stuck in a reboot loop. I can boot using the iBoot Vostro disk, but if I try to let the Cam. bootloader run I get stuck in a reboot loop.

Also, trying to run the early MacBook pro 10.6.7 update but can only boot from the iboot vostro disk. I made the necessary edits, but it tells me that I have the wrong hardware. Should the newest update run via the iboot disk? Or can it only run if using the cam. Bootloader?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Russ

PhunkMaZ said:
Hi Guys,

today i installed the new MBP Early 2011 Update. So far so good, no kernel panic after update and the system could boot until before the desktop should be show up. Osx doesn't freeze. Then i connected to it via TeamViewer. IntelHDGraphics and it's FB kext is loaded but there are some problems with the Lid.

Code:
Mar 23 15:10:37 localhost kernel[0]: FireWire (OHCI) VendorID 1180 ID e832 PCI now active, GUID 1f6f9d20314fc000; max speed s400.
Mar 23 15:10:37 localhost kernel[0]: Kernel is LP64
Mar 23 15:10:37 localhost kernel[0]: systemShutdown false
Mar 23 15:10:39 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:
Mar 23 15:10:39 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert]: 	_gIODisplayLinearBrightnessKeyVoodooPS2SynapticsTouchPad loaded
Mar 23 15:10:39 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert]: 	_gIODisplayPowerStateKey
Mar 23 15:10:39 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert]: 	_gIODisplayUsableLinearBrightnessKey
Mar 23 15:10:39 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert - link failed.
Mar 23 15:10:39 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert.
Mar 23 15:10:39 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert failed to load (0xdc008016).
Mar 23 15:10:39 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Dependency com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert of kext com.apple.driver.AppleBacklight failed to load.
Mar 23 15:10:39 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleBacklight failed to load (0xdc008015).
Mar 23 15:10:39 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleBacklight (error 0xdc008015).
Mar 23 15:10:39 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Kext load request buffer from user space still retained by a kext; probable memory leak.
Mar 23 15:10:39 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: VoodooPS2Trackpad: Synaptics TouchPad v7.2
Mar 23 15:10:39 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == hdaGfxCandidate" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-202.4.10/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 1080 goto Exit
Mar 23 15:10:39 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Previous Shutdown Cause: 3
Mar 23 15:10:40 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.
Mar 23 15:10:40 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: identified as RTL8168D/8111Dkxld[com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:
Mar 23 15:10:40 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert]: 	_gIODisplayLinearBrightnessKey
Mar 23 15:10:40 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert]: 	_gIODisplayPowerStateKey
Mar 23 15:10:40 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert]: 	_gIODisplayUsableLinearBrightnessKey
Mar 23 15:10:40 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert - link failed.
Mar 23 15:10:40 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert.
Mar 23 15:10:40 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert failed to load (0xdc008016).
Mar 23 15:10:40 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Dependency com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert of kext com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsControl failed to load.
Mar 23 15:10:40 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsControl failed to load (0xdc008015).
Mar 23 15:10:40 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsControl (error 0xdc008015).
Mar 23 15:10:40 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Kext load request buffer from user space still retained by a kext; probable memory leak.
Mar 23 15:10:42 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-202.4.10/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 880 goto Exit
Mar 23 15:10:42 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "!me->fKextResourceLoaded" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-202.4.10/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 855 goto Exit
Mar 23 15:10:42 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: DSMOS has arrived
Mar 23 15:10:42 PhunkMaZs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: com_chucko_RealtekR1000: Ethernet address f0:4d:a2:c7:f1:f4
Mar 23 15:11:46 noname kernel[0]: NVDA: rmStart failed
Mar 23 15:11:46 noname kernel[0]: NVDA,Display-B: Not usable

Looks like there is something missing in the plist of the AppleBacklightExpert kext. Oh, and if i connect via TeamViewer i can change the resolution from 800x600 up to 1690x1050.

Any suggestions ? :eek:

This is great news (Yup, I still watch this thread ;) ). Being able to change the resolution in system prefs means the Intel card is detected and the correct kext is loaded. Now if it only gave any output...
I doesn't seem to recognize the laptop's internal display (or any ports connected to the IGP - because external monitor doesn't work either) otherwise it wouldn't give that much choice to change the resolution.

Nvidia (non-Optimus!) Graphics problems

If you have not found the solution with your Nvidia card for getting the connections right for your external monitors etc. then one thing you can experiment with is the value of NVCAP.

NVCAP is a string of numbers that defines how Nvidia card handles connections.

Many different NVCAp values seem to work for the internal screen, but when it comes to other outputs, you might want to experiment.

You can find what NVCAP you are currently using by looking in ioreg. Easiest way to do that is probably to fire up DSDTse and under "registry Info" click "Get".

Navigate down the device tree until you find "NVDA, Display" (or something like that), click on it and then scroll down the right hand panel until you see NVCAP and take a note of the numbers next to that entry. For instance, a copy and paste of what I have is:

<05 01 00 00 00 00 01 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 01 0e 00 00 00 00>

These numbers are actually the ones that I am injecting at the moment using the "device-properties" string and are from a MacBookPro6,1.

Now, for instance, see what different injector methods give you by (a) deleting the "device-properties" string and setting "graphicsenabler=yes" and going into your DSDT and checking you don't have an NVCAP section in there - if you do, back up your DSDT and delete the NVCAP string - then restart your Vostro.

Then check the NVCAP values again. For me, that gives a value string of:

<04 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 fe 00 00 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00>

Other ways to try out a different string are to find a copy of the Video BIOS Rom from your graphics card and then use the progam NVCAPmaker to make an NVCAP based on the ROM contents. For instance, for a Video BIOS file I found on the web for a 310M, I used NVCAPMaker and found this set of numbers:

You might get different results again if you Set GraphicsEnabler=No and load one of the graphics kexts such as NVEnabler or ATY_Init.kext.

If you do some reading around, you will see how different people have worked to try and find out exactly what NVCAP really does and how to set it up for different graphics cards. It is surprising that many different values 'sort of' work. But not really surprising that different ones have different functionality on different hardware.

Okay, so what do I do?

Well, for a start by trying the different values given by the different ways of enabling graphics you can experiment with your hardware to find what different ways seem to give you the best results.

Once you have decided that a particular NVCAP value works best for you, you can then go back and inject that value through your own DSDT.aml file.

For instance, the value from the device-property injector can be put inside your graphics card section of the DSDT as follows:

Code:
                           "NVCAP", 
                                    Buffer (0x14)
                                    {
                                        /* 0000 */    0x05, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 
                                        /* 0008 */    0x06, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0a, 
                                        /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                                    },

You could then, if you prefer the values given by GraphicsEnabler=Yes re-write the section to be:

Code:
                           "NVCAP", 
                                    Buffer (0x14)
                                    {
                                        /* 0000 */    0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 
                                        /* 0008 */    0xfe, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x0E, 
                                    },

For me, whatever you put into the DSDT overwrites anything added in the "device-properties" part of my boot plist. So you can then make lots of experiments trying different values for NVCAP until you find something that works best with your VGA monitor, HDMI output or whatever......

When you modify your graphics section of the DSDT to include NVCAP it looks something like this:

Code:
Device (PEGP)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                    Device (GFX0)
                    {
                        Name (_ADR, Zero)
                        Name (_SUN, One)
                        Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                        {
                            Store (Package ()
                                {
                                    "@0,compatible", 
                                    Buffer (0x0B)
                                    {
                                        "NVDA,NVMac"
                                    }, 

"@0,device_type", 
                                    Buffer (0x08)
                                    {
                                        "display"
                                    }, 

"@0,name", 
                                    Buffer (0x0F)
                                    {
                                        "NVDA,Display-A"
                                    }, 

"@1,compatible", 
                                    Buffer (0x0B)
                                    {
                                        "NVDA,NVMac"
                                    }, 

"@1,device_type", 
                                    Buffer (0x08)
                                    {
                                        "display"
                                    }, 

"@1,name", 
                                    Buffer (0x0F)
                                    {
                                        "NVDA,Display-B"
                                    }, 

"device_type", 
                                    Buffer (0x0D)
                                    {
                                        "NVDA,GeForce"
                                    }, 

"NVCAP", 
                                    Buffer (0x14)
                                    {
                                        /* 0000 */    0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 
                                        /* 0008 */    0xfe, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x0E, 
                                    },

"model", 
                                    Buffer (0x15)
                                    {
                                        "Nvidia GeForce 310M "
                                    }
                                }, Local0)
                            DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                            Return (Local0)
                        }
                    }
                }

I hope this hint helps sort graphics problems and if you find strings that work really well for you, why not post them on the thread." Eg. Vostro 3500, 310M processor, internal screen, plus HDMI this string works well:......."

This might help someone who is fighting with their system get something working a little better.

blackshore said:
After installing the kexts with kext utility I booted up with Iboot..not Iboot vostro but regular I boot.
The cpu is recongnized correctly and the graphics is to!!
How is this possible?

Is it something wrong with the device string in the com.apple.Boot.plist?
I searched a bit about producing the device string and the device string is only for the gfx? right?

I have a 330m and I have a i7 just to point out again.

I checked the iboot vostro for the com.boot.plist and
looked for what was written in there..and there was almost nothing..

The regular iBoot includes Chameleon and (I think!) NVenabler.

All versions of Chameleon these days should recognise the CPUs okay (no need to hard code stuff for them).

As you'll see in my post about NVCAP, some methods do better jobs than other in working out what configuration to use. Graphicsenabler does a pretty good general job and so does NVenabler.kext

The device-properties string basically just injects the properties from the graphics for a MacBookPro6,1 and they may not be right for you. Some of those properties fix the brightness issues, others are to do with connector types, names, NVCAP, properties of displays and a whole bunch of other things.

Let me explain a bit more.

Attached is the MBP plist in a readable form, basically though it looks like this if you open it up in a plist editor:
MBPdeviceproperties.png

It has a lot of properties in it, some of which are interesting to us. For me, simply converting the plist to "hex" and adding it to the boot plist to inject the whole lot (a quick, but dirty, solution) works. It gives me graphics that have full acceleration, variable brightness and pretty good connectivity. Some of the things in the plist (which is all coded as "data" are really just the adding of names into your system profiler. For instance, this data next to the word "Model": <4e564944 49412047 65466f72 63652047 54203333 304d> actually tells the system profiler to insert "Nvidia GeForce 330M" as the model type.

All of the values inside the device-properties string can as an alternative be injected by your DSDT.aml file. In fact, the DSDT.aml will overwrite the values if you tell it to. This means that in reality you can tell your DSDT to insert whatever NVCAp value , model identifier or whatever you want and you can check which ones are really being used by opening up your ioregistry and seeing what the system is using.

You may of course choose to always use a kext like NVenabler to sort your graphics, or use the chameleon graphics features or take values you want from the device-properties of another Mac or use DSDT. My recommendation is to experiment and if you find a way that gives you the best functionality, copy the values you want from ioreg and then hard code them into your DSDT. That way, if (for instance) Apple changes the system software and a kext steps functioning then by hard coding them into your system you stand a better chance of being safe when the next software update comes along.....

You can find out a lot about NVCAP by looking over at ProjectOSX and reading posts by Krazabu. It is interesting stuff, but quite technical.
deviceproperties.plist

Attachments

• MBPdeviceproperties.png
    MBPdeviceproperties.png
    144.3 KB · Views: 263
  • deviceproperties.plist
    3.1 KB · Views: 264
I have an Intel-only Vostro 3700. Followed this guide using the 3 partition method and successfully installed up to version 10.6.6 with working kexts (except Intel graphics and wireless of course). I was hoping that upgrading to the Early 2011 build of 10.6.7 might iron out any Intel graphics issues.

After changing the SMBIOS and SystemBuild files, I successfully downloaded and started to install the 10.6.7 and all seemed to go well. No KP during install and rebooted when prompted. Booted with Chameleon and it seemed to hang on the White Apple screen.

Booted to the 2nd partion with the iBootVostro disk (10.6.3 clone) and deleted both AppleIntelHD files hoping that this was the booting issue. But I then get the black "You must reboot your computer, hold down the power button" message.

Does anybody have any thoughts on how to proceed to boot into OSX?

Check for correct graphics

These are the listings for Vostros in Australia.
http://www.dell.com/au/business/p/lapto ... ptop-deals
The first 2 are Intel only laptops. The last 3 are Nvidia only.
I cannot find any dual graphics laptops. Are the nvidia ones the safe hackbooks mentioned on the OP ?

Re: Check for correct graphics

zcream said:
I cannot find any dual graphics laptops. Are the nvidia ones the safe hackbooks mentioned on the OP ?

I guess it depents on the cpu and chipset. If i get this right the older vostros are equipped with the HM55 chipset and 1st Gen. i-Series and the later ones with HM57 Express and 2nd Gen. i-Series (as mine). You should better call the the service hotline and ask them for the exact specs.

Re: Check for correct graphics

PhunkMaZ said:
zcream said:

I guess it depents on the cpu and chipset. If i get this right the older vostros are equipped with the HM55 chipset and 1st Gen. i-Series and the later ones with HM57 Express and 2nd Gen. i-Series (as mine). You should better call the the service hotline and ask them for the exact specs.

Im on the HM57 Chipset with only nVidia 330m. So, i dunnow.. whats the actual hardware difference?

The i5- 520m does have intel graphics but its not enabled on mine. Would i be able to enable it? Which may help to disable it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back