Contribute
Register

VoodooI2C Help and Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
even more to read now! :) thanks a lot rehabman! this looks like you have implemented a i2c branch in your "HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch" github repo :) I will find out if this means that in the future ppl can just "attach" to this branch and this will facilitate their i2c install challenges for that specific hackintosh(s) ;)

what I wanted to ask you rehabman, you still have snow up there? :) I wasn't skiing once this winter unfortunately. next winter for sure. (sorry ppl, STILL can't write private msgs ;) )

Hello,

things were running so smooth with this new hp probook 450 g5 hackintosh that I decided to try again the voodoo i2c drivers, after 2 unsuccessful attempts.

thanks rehabman for implementing those into your prebook GitHub! what I did now is:

cd ~/Projects/probook.git
git fetch --all
git checkout i2c
./download.sh
./install_downloads.sh
./build.sh
-manually copy the new config.plist that includes your changes for i2c to EFI/Clover- (do I have to edit something in that i2c part? obv. not - according to ioregistryexplorer now instead off appleI2C VoodooI2C is loaded :) )
reboot

manually kextload'ed the VoodooI2CHID.kext

now when manually kextunload'ing VoodooPS2Trackpad there is no responsiveness from the trackpad, I2C doesn't automatically "take over". also there is the error that it can't unload kext:

"(kernel) Can't unload kext org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Trackpad; classes have instances:
(kernel) Kext org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Trackpad class ApplePS2SynapticsTouchPad has 1 instance.
Failed to unload org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Trackpad - (libkern/kext) kext is in use or retained (cannot unload)."

manually reloading the VoodooI2CHID.kext won't help.
manually reloading the VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext again results in responsive trackpad

attached are the debug files. thanks a lot for your patience! :)

thank you for looking into it!

Cheerio!

Attachments

• debug_25415.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Hello,

things were running so smooth with this new hp probook 450 g5 hackintosh that I decided to try again the voodoo i2c drivers, after 2 unsuccessful attempts.

thanks rehabman for implementing those into your prebook GitHub! what I did now is:

git fetch --all
git checkout i2c
./download.sh
./install_downloads.sh
./build.sh
-manually copy the new config.plist that includes your changes for i2c to EFI/Clover- (do I have to edit something in that i2c part? obv. not - according to ioregistryexplorer now instead off appleI2C VoodooI2C is loaded :) )
reboot

manually kextload'ed the VoodooI2CHID.kext

now when manually kextunload'ing VoodooPS2Trackpad there is no responsiveness from the trackpad, I2C doesn't automatically "take over". also there is the error that it can't unload kext:

"(kernel) Can't unload kext org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Trackpad; classes have instances:
(kernel) Kext org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Trackpad class ApplePS2SynapticsTouchPad has 1 instance.
Failed to unload org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Trackpad - (libkern/kext) kext is in use or retained (cannot unload)."

manually reloading the VoodooI2CHID.kext won't help.
manually reloading the VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext again results in responsive trackpad

attached are the debug files. thanks a lot for your patience! :)

thank you for looking into it!

Cheerio!

Your SSDT-4x0-G5-Kabylake-R.aml does not appear to have the required changes from the i2c branch.

Your SSDT-4x0-G5-Kabylake-R.aml does not appear to have the required changes from the i2c branch.

oh i see! thanks for the hint! now only this was needed and voodooi2c is in control obviously :) so I did:

./install_acpi.sh install_4x0g5_kabylake-r

which built and replaced my SSDT in EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched. after reboot now all kexts are loaded, voodoi2c + voodooi2chid + all voodoops2 kexts, including voodoops2trackpad.kext, according to About this Mac-System report-extensions. (do I have to manually remove the voodoops2trackpad kext respectively disable it?) also now the keyboard-assistant automatically opens. but obv. I use the i2c drivers because 2finger-scrolling in safari feels somewhat more Mac-like, the 3fingers-up and 3fingers-left/right gestures work as on a original Mac trackpad. but 2fingers-zooming in Preview seems not to work, even though enabled in sysprefs-trackpad (edit: it seems the voodooI2C kext doesn't support 2 fingers pinch/zoom according to the homepage). also the speed of the pointer/cursor now can no longer be changed with the corresponding speed slider in sysprefs-trackpad. hmmm..

all in all up to now it is a good improvement, because the trackpad "feels" somehow more Mac-like, which is a pretty important part in the Mac experience, lets see how this "feels" in the long run.

so your i2c brach seems to work as intended - obv. didn't have to do no manual patching etc as suggested on the voodooi2c homepage - you took wonderful care of it all in your repository, if I am not mistaken all 450 g4/g5 owners have to do now is just

git fetch --all
git checkout i2c
./download.sh
./install_downloads.sh
./build.sh
-manually copy the new config.plist that includes your changes for i2c to EFI/Clover-
./install_acpi.sh install_4x0g5_kabylake-r
reboot

so nice!

attached problem reporting files, maybe I still have something wrong! (for sure I do, since cursor/trackpointer speed for sure is adjustable somehow :) and I somehow have the feeling that I have some double stuff (ps2 and i2c) in there, or why does that keyboard assistant pop up?

thank you so much again!

cheers!

Attachments

• debug_16222.zip
    2 MB · Views: 166
Last edited:
do I have to manually remove the voodoops2trackpad kext respectively disable it?)

No need. It is disabled with ACPI:
Code:
    Scope (\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K)
    {
        Name (RMCF, Package (0x04)
        {
            "Synaptics TouchPad", 
            Package (0x02)
            {
                "DisableDevice", 
                ">y"
            }, 

I use the i2c drivers

Your ioreg confirms the drivers are loading.

so your i2c brach seems to work as intended

Great.

- obv. didn't have to do no manual patching etc as suggested on the voodooi2c homepage - you took wonderful care of it all in your repository, if I am not mistaken all 450 g4/g5 owners have to do now is just

Correct...
Hopefully others will test and provide feedback.

or why does that keyboard assistant pop up?

No idea.
The ioreg shows VoodooPS2Keyboard handling the keyboard as expected.

Maybe you should provide details.

Correct...
Hopefully others will test and provide feedback.

No idea.
The ioreg shows VoodooPS2Keyboard handling the keyboard as expected.

Maybe you should provide details.

Thank you a lot Rehabman for your incredible work, again and again!

I can encourage anyone with a Probook 450 G4/G5 to give the voodooI2C drivers a try, now it is super easy to install and gives you some advantages over voodooPS2:

- the scrolling in Safari is somewhat more Mac-like (maybe I am subjective, but to me it seems so)
- three finger gestures work perfectly well/fluent and feel just the same as on a MBP - this alone would be a goto voodooI2C criterion
- 2finger scrolling/zooming works very nice in apps, e.g. logic pro x (but I can't remember how this was with voodooPS2, I don't dare to remove the voodooI2C now that it is working to try again ;) )
- mousepointer movements feel for Mac-like (again subjective, I also can't adjust the speed yet, but this should work, maybe with replacement of prefs pane in sysprefs)

Even though VoodooPS2 will get the work done. And the improvements of I2C vs PS2 might be strictly subjective.

That keyboard assistant didn't pop up again after reboot.

Thank you all and

Cheers!

Edit: Possible disadvantage of I2C vs PS2 after a brief testing day on this very special machine: if touch instead of click is activated in the sysprefs then it is much harder for me to successfully righty click(=tip/touch) with two fingers, often it will be interpreted as left click.

Last edited:
Thank you a lot Rehabman for your incredible work, again and again!

I can encourage anyone with a Probook 450 G4/G5 to give the voodooI2C drivers a try, now it is super easy to install and gives you some advantages over voodooPS2:

- the scrolling in Safari is somewhat more Mac-like (maybe I am subjective, but to me it seems so)
- three finger gestures work perfectly well/fluent and feel just the same as on a MBP - this alone would be a goto voodooI2C criterion
- 2finger scrolling/zooming works very nice in apps, e.g. logic pro x (but I can't remember how this was with voodooPS2, I don't dare to remove the voodooI2C now that it is working to try again ;) )
- mousepointer movements feel for Mac-like (again subjective, I also can't adjust the speed yet, but this should work, maybe with replacement of prefs pane in sysprefs)

Even though VoodooPS2 will get the work done. And the improvements of I2C vs PS2 might be strictly subjective.

That keyboard assistant didn't pop up again after reboot.

Thank you all and

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback.

In the coming days, I'll work on formalizing the i2c branch (with a bit of cleanup) and adding some instructions into the ProBook guide for those wishing to try it.

If you want to install them to System volume, remove AppleHPM.kext, AppleIntelLpssI2C.kext and AppleIntelLpssI2CController.kext from S/L/E. Rebuild cache and reboot :)
Notice they will come back after a system update, so you'll have to remove them again.
This method worked for me until the last update. Now i cant find the 3 kext in S/L/E anymore and the trackpad doesnt work. Some advice?

This method worked for me until the last update. Now i cant find the 3 kext in S/L/E anymore and the trackpad doesnt work. Some advice?
The kexts should go in Clover specifically to avoid situations like this (or use Coolstar's i2c clover patches whose location I do not know of but I am told they exist).

Edit: Possible disadvantage of I2C vs PS2 after a brief testing day on this very special machine: if touch instead of click is activated in the sysprefs then it is much harder for me to successfully righty click(=tip/touch) with two fingers, often it will be interpreted as left click.
Try disabling 'Smart zoom' in Trackpad SysPrefs :)
It doesn't work in current VoodooI2C anyway. Will work when Magic Trackpad 2 emulation is done, but there's still work to do. (2F tap bug exists there too, so we need to disable Smart zoom there as well, for correct functioning of 2F to right click)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back