Graphics
Ati Radeon HD5770
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Ok I have installated voodooHDA to enable HDMI sound on my HD5770 because HDMI works but I have no sound, but when I install voodooHDA i dont have Digital output in sound preferences how can I fix this?

Same problem here, but I have a 5850. After days of Googling, I'm pretty sure we're the only two people in the world with this issue.

Hardware:
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
PowerColor ATI Radeon 5850 1GB (this is the card with HDMI)
NVIDIA 8800GT (could this be the problem?)
Samsung plasma

In Audio MIDI Setup:
Line-out (Green Rear)
Headphones (Green Front)
SPDIF-out (Orange Rear)
Microphone (Pink Rear)
Microphone (Pink Front)
SPDIF-in (Yellow Rear)

I would prefer to get HDMI audio working with VoodooHDA as opposed to AppleHDA because AppleHDA needs to be hacked after every update (at least for my board).

Anyway, if anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it!

So I spent some more time on this...

I found this thread on InsanelyMac. When I ran the shell script, I saw the following:

Probing codec #0...
HDA Codec #0: ATI R6xx HDMI

Perhaps this means my card is being falsely identified as a 6 series Radeon. But let's leave that one for now...

Next, I scanned the output for anything ALC998A related, but only saw info on the ATI audio. This lead me to suspect that perhaps the two audio cihpsets (the one built-into the ATI card and the one built into the mobo) were somehow causing a conflict in the VooodooHDA driver. I tried disabling the mobo Audio (Azalia) and when I did that, I saw one item in the Sound Perferences:
Digital-out (HDMI)

Unfortunately, it doesn't work, but the fact that it at least appears has got to be worth something, right?

I don't yet fully understand the pinconfig patching procedure outlined in the above link, and don't really have time to try to figure it out right now, but this is the first solid lead I've had in a looooong time.

ok, I just ran the time to dollar conversion, and it turns out I could've bought another high-end graphics card for the amount of time I've spent on this. So that is exactly what I intend to do...

Any recommendations?

Qualifications:
1. Must be at least as fast as the 5850.
2. Must have HDMI audio working out of the box with VoodooHDA.
3. All video ports must work out of the box.

That's pretty much it. I would prefer an NVIDIA card, but only if one exists that meets the above criteria. I'm not a fanboy or anything... It's just that NVIDIA has built-in stereoscopy and allows game-specific overrides, which is something I've come to miss...

Thanks.

After blood, sweat and several tears, I finally sort-of got AppleHDA working (VoodooHDA was hopeless).

I say "sort-of" because of two notable caveats:
1. I only get stereo output on all 889A and HDMI devices.
2. I have four total display devices (3 monitors + one TV). My 5850 only supports three devices at a time (even in Windows). So, in theory, if I want the TV, I have to unplug one monitor, and plug in the TV. In practice, when I do this, I end up with some odd zoomed view on the TV. Swapping cables out in a particular order eventually produces the desired result, but I haven't yet discovered a convenient way to go from 3 monitors to 2 monitors + 1 TV. I do have a spare NVIDIA card that I could potentially use to drive two of the monitors, so I could just use the ATI card for the main monitor and TV, and be done with cable swapping. However, there's a mild announce associated with that solution (which I won't get into).

ok, so, here's what I did. I sincerely hope this helps somebody:
1. Grab dodo's DSDT from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=196771

2. Boot with that DSDT, and use DSDTSE to edit HDEF to the following:
Device (HDEF)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (Package (0x02)
{
0x0D,
0x05
})
}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x04)
{
"layout-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
},

"PinConfigurations",
Buffer (Zero) {}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
}
The item of interest is "layout-id". 885 somehow translates to 0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00. We need this value to match the <key>LayoutID</key><key>885</key> in /S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/Platforms.xml file which will be copied in the following steps.

3. Follow this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=162&t=31947
The guide is a little confusing, but fortunately, most of it is verification. There's not actually a whole lot that needs to be done.
Note: If you're display address is 3, you need to search for 0x00010000 (not 0x00030000), and in my case, change it to 0x00030000.

4. Compile the DSDT, check for errors, and save it to /Extra

5. Make Sure GraphicsEnabler=Yes is being used in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

6. At this point (at least for my 5850) HDMI audio was working with a stock AppleHDA (I'm on 2.1.3) with no additional kext modifications, enablers, etc…
TIP: AppleHDA 2.1.3 is capable of HDMI without working on-board audio.

7. To get 885/889a (they're one in the same) working, first go to here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... 40941&st=0

8. Download ALC885_889a_LION.zip

9. Install as follows. Copy/paste the following into the terminal one line at a time (enter password as needed):
cd <drag and drop the extracted ALC885_889a_LION folder into the terminal window>
sudo cp layout885.xml /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/
sudo cp Platforms.xml /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/

sudo cp -R ALC885_889a.kext /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/ALC885_889a.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ALC885_889a.kext

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

10. Reboot, and cross fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back