Contribute
Register

VMware or Virtualbox on top of Hackintosh?

VMware or Virtualbox?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo T400
CPU
T9400
Graphics
Intel
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I currently have 10.8.4 running on top of a i7 platform. I've tried using Virtualbox on this computer, running Windows as a guest and have had mixed results. For example, only NAT works, bridged networking does not. Virtualbox also doesn't exit cleanly, it seems. On every reboot, there are always processes left hanging that are terminated with force.

I'd like to know what kind of experience others have had using virtualization software on a Hack. Does VMware generally work better or Virtualbox?

I currently have 10.8.4 running on top of a i7 platform. I've tried using Virtualbox on this computer, running Windows as a guest and have had mixed results. For example, only NAT works, bridged networking does not. Virtualbox also doesn't exit cleanly, it seems. On every reboot, there are always processes left hanging that are terminated with force.

I'd like to know what kind of experience others have had using virtualization software on a Hack. Does VMware generally work better or Virtualbox?

Early on I tried Parallels and had problems with it [because it wasn't running on Apple hardware] but have no experience with the current release. I use VMware to run Win 7 and 8.1 virtual machines with no issues including remote desktop and connecting to a vpn. I believe both VMware and Parallels offer 30 day trials, so you can kick the tires risk free, and of course, share your experiences.

Tried both but use vmware fusion 6.x daily. Works great. Had a small issue with the older fusion ver 5 of the product and one of the hackintosh usb 3 kexts on my system causing fusion to never start correctly but removed that usb 3 kext and all was well.

The newer version 6 works great on my haswell system and is fast too.

Both (parallels and fusion) are $50-$70 a year upgrades it seems. You dont have to upgrade but you dont get all the coolest features.
A note is there are some (updated) files out on the internet to re-enable booting osx workstation from vmware products (fusion and pc workstation). Its still cool to boot osx 10.8.x on a windows pc desktop using vmware workstation.

Hope this helps. doug

Old thread I realize, but wanted to add my $0.02.

I have an i5-4690S hack with a GA-B85-HD3 motherboard with 16GB RAM running Mac OS 10.9.3. I installed the latest Virtualbox 4.3.12.

Using Virtualbox in Mac OS, I installed both Windows 7 and LinuxMint 16 (plus their extension packs). I had no problems after following typical install instructions. Both Windows and Linux run very nicely on my Mac OS as virtual machines. I do not really stress these VMs, as Windows is used for one specific application (Song Sound Forge) and Linux is installed, well, just because..

Just thought I'd share my experience using Virtualbox in Mac OS to run Windows and Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back