Contribute
Register

VMware Fusion won't install on Sierra Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I tried to install VMware Fusion on a Sierra Hackintosh, but it gave the following error message.

However, 64-bit operation is not possible.
This host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled.
Intel VT-x might be disabled if it has been disabled in the BIOS/firmware settings or the host has not been power-cycled since changing this setting.
(1) Verify that the BIOS/firmware settings enable Intel VT-x and disable 'trusted execution.'
(2) Power-cycle the host if either of these BIOS/firmware settings have been changed.
(3) Power-cycle the host if you have not done so since installing VMware Fusion.
(4) Update the host's BIOS/firmware to the latest version.
For more detailed information, see http://vmware.com/info?id=152.​

I enabled VT-d in the BIOS, but that didn't resolve the issue. I searched on tonymax86.com and broadly, but couldn't find a solution. I would really appreciate your help. I am running the Hackintosh on i7700K and Asus Z270G. Thank you so much.

If you must run virtualization software problematic as it is Parallels works.
Problematic because the Windowing function does not always work and certain keys, particularly F keys, do not work (a pain in a lower body part for one piece of software I had to use routinely).
To be honest I never ran Parallels on my Hack but was forced to use it for several years and several versions, up to the latest,on Macbook Pros for access to needed business/professional software that was only written for Windows.
It was a very happy day in my life when I was able to delete Parallels.
As you are aware it is advised to disable the Intel virtualization firmware in the motherboard when installing OSX in a hack. However as you have discovered enabling it does not necessarily break a working Hackintosh installation--I have used it for VM ware under Windows in a dual booting hack but that might not work in all hardware combinations.

Hi. I tried to install VMware Fusion on a Sierra Hackintosh, but it gave the following error message.

However, 64-bit operation is not possible.
This host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled.
Intel VT-x might be disabled if it has been disabled in the BIOS/firmware settings or the host has not been power-cycled since changing this setting.
(1) Verify that the BIOS/firmware settings enable Intel VT-x and disable 'trusted execution.'
(2) Power-cycle the host if either of these BIOS/firmware settings have been changed.
(3) Power-cycle the host if you have not done so since installing VMware Fusion.
(4) Update the host's BIOS/firmware to the latest version.
For more detailed information, see http://vmware.com/info?id=152.​

I enabled VT-d in the BIOS, but that didn't resolve the issue. I searched on tonymax86.com and broadly, but couldn't find a solution. I would really appreciate your help. I am running the Hackintosh on i7700K and Asus Z270G. Thank you so much.
You need to enable Intel Virtualization Technology, not VT-x. I've been running VMWare Fusion for years with no problems. Of course, you need to be in 64 bit mode, but that's a given.

If you must run virtualization software problematic as it is Parallels works.
Problematic because the Windowing function does not always work and certain keys, particularly F keys, do not work (a pain in a lower body part for one piece of software I had to use routinely).
To be honest I never ran Parallels on my Hack but was forced to use it for several years and several versions, up to the latest,on Macbook Pros for access to needed business/professional software that was only written for Windows.
It was a very happy day in my life when I was able to delete Parallels.
As you are aware it is advised to disable the Intel virtualization firmware in the motherboard when installing OSX in a hack. However as you have discovered enabling it does not necessarily break a working Hackintosh installation--I have used it for VM ware under Windows in a dual booting hack but that might not work in all hardware combinations.
Even by disabling the Intel virtualization, Parallels works fine?

I don't have any recent experience with Parallels, but vmware Fusion works fine. As alluded to in this thread, it might be necessary to disable Intel virtualization during the OS-X installation, but once the hack is running, it must be re-enabled for vmware Fusion to run.

You need to enable Vt-x in the BIOS.

You can leave Vt-d enabled if it doesn't give you issues, otherwise you can disable it in the BIOS or add dart=0 to your boot args.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back